Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ist AR Build

Feedback Score

Ist AR Build

First I will start with, this is my first build. I want to build a AR10 and I have been looking at components. I am trying to stay within $1000-1200 at least for my first. i found this upper kit and want to know thoughts both good and bad. Thanks

https://davidsondefense.com/dpms-lr-...mod-handguard/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm very curious as to what makes you choose a .308 for your first build.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Highly recommend looking at the AR15 platform for a first build. Parts compatibility won’t be nearly as much of an issue compared to an AR10 build.

What’s the intended use of the rifle? A Sunday afternoon paper-puncher won’t have the same requirements as a long range precision rig or a dedicated home-defense rifle.

‘Beyond 5.56/.223’ might be a better place for this discussion.

Feedback Score
    I have 2 AR15's and want an AR10 so i thought I'd build one. I actually did build a lower for one of my AR15's. This is my first full rifle build. For now I want a rifle for the range and eventually upgrade to something more intense.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    It's going to he hard to build an ar10 on your budget. But it can be done with catching good sales. There are some cheap barrels out there now but I see them as questionable quality.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’m a strong advocate of the Buy Once, Cry Once doctrine. Don’t skimp on the barrel or bolt carrier group.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles11B View Post
    I’m a strong advocate of the Buy Once, Cry Once doctrine. Don’t skimp on the barrel or bolt carrier group.
    Yea I would typically agree but, for this price the upper alone goes for $170 so, for now especially since I live in New Jerkistan where we have to use a muzzle break and it has to be welded on. Next year when I move back home to PA I'll need a new barrel anyway. I will not skimp on the bolt, trigger and other important parts but, for now I think this is a good deal especially for my situation.

Feedback Score
    Davidson defense is garbage. If you want an ar10 Armalite or Aero in that price range are my recomendations

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by njsportsman View Post
    Yea I would typically agree but, for this price the upper alone goes for $170 so, for now especially since I live in New Jerkistan where we have to use a muzzle break and it has to be welded on. Next year when I move back home to PA I'll need a new barrel anyway. I will not skimp on the bolt, trigger and other important parts but, for now I think this is a good deal especially for my situation.

If it works, it is a great deal. If it doesn’t, or if you decide to upgrade parts later, it may become a money pit. That being said, it is super cheap, and if you buy a semi decent lower, at least you can buy a better upper later on when you get to a free state.

On a side note, if you are in the pretty section of NJ, which is what I consider the NW portion in the tristate area, it is beautiful. Out by Dingmans ferry, or Sussex county, it is too nice to be run by NJ, it should be part of PA or something.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by njsportsman View Post
    First I will start with, this is my first build. I want to build a AR10 and I have been looking at components. I am trying to stay within $1000-1200 at least for my first. i found this upper kit and want to know thoughts both good and bad. Thanks

https://davidsondefense.com/dpms-lr-...mod-handguard/
    My thoughts... I wouldn't be surprised if all of the components were sourced from the Chicoms. I would run AFAFP rom a 239 dollar upper.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast