Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teen ordered to pay restitution for starting fire...

Feedback Score

Teen ordered to pay restitution for starting fire...

Can't see him paying the entire amount, but it will get his attention

"PORTLAND, Ore. -- The teen who plead guilty to starting last year's destructive Eagle Creek Fire has been ordered to pay roughly $36.6 million to cover damages caused by the blaze, CBS affiliate KOIN-TV reports. The boy, who was 15 at the time, said he started the fire by throwing a lit firecracker into the woods in September."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/teen-wh...on-2018-05-21/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Nah, like the article says, as long as he doesn't reoffend (much more likely now as his income will be hampered for some of the most vital years of his development) he will petition a halt in 10 years; and they'll grant it cause he was a kid.

He also, in my guess, won't be required to start payments until over the age of 18. He will be 21-22 When Probation is over. So, he could sit on welfare for 10 years, and still get it forgiven under the "No one will hire me as I am the kid who burned down our state."

ETA: Maybe I shouldn't have posted, I am particularily salty today after finding out that (completely off-topic), on average, any unemployed welfare recipient, in my state, receives over 55k a year annually in benefits. That is over 300% above the poverty line. While I am a working dude making barely over 200%. It makes me wonder what the EFF am I doing working? [/rhetorical]

It's asinine and people wonder why our out-of-state Welfare Fraud rate is so high, and our hiring from welfare is so damn difficult. Literally, working for a minimum wage job isn't even worth it. You might as well just stay on welfare. Bleh.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-21-18 at 16:54.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    He'll probably get probation and the record expunged when he becomes an adult

The court acknowledged that the teen would not be able to pay the full judgement and will allow him to establish a payment plan. After 10 years, the court may grant a full or partial halt of the restitution if the teen completes probation and doesn't commit any additional offenses.
    , but if not, it would have a rather chilling effect on one's credit score for a long, long time.
    Last edited by Hmac; 05-21-18 at 16:50.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Start digging holes and planting trees, you little bitch.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Yeah that whole Columbia gorge run is absolutely beautiful. And it looked horrible when I was through there in October. Sad deal, but the little bastard needs to be punished
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    He should suffer a bad accident involving fireworks, just say'n.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Thats a tough way to learn actions have consequences. Oh well.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    This. Hand digging from sun up to sun down with the blisters to prove it too. The one man tree planting chain gang with a minimum quota of say 100 a day...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    If split crotch panties are what it takes to get your wife to exercise, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    ^^This in spades! No pun intended.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    ... the kid who burned down our state."
    Unfortunately one stupid kid's actions aren't nearly as destructive as what the Government can do. They let a lightning fire smolder for a month before it blew up to four times as big as this fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast