Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A reminder. Know your zero or don't carry it

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I remember an old training film that narrated 'many times what you have in your hands can make a difference' as an officer on a traffic stop threw his ticket book into the face of someone turning on him with a weapon. Cheesy, but it made sense.

The grocery thing, they may have been a good distraction device - if needed. The guy closes the gap with seemingly nefarious intent - shove them into his face while you move to a position of advantage.

Often one of the thing that folks with evil in mind relish seeing is us visibly react or get hyper to their presence or actions. Sometimes those obvious preps can accelerate the situation, sometimes they may shut it down, but by the same token a more subtle response usually accomplish the same deescalation.

That doesn't mean don't prepare, don't be ready, rather try to impart, 'Hey this ain't my first rodeo, I'm cool if your cool, and I'm ready if you ain't.'

Worked for me.
    Great piece of rhetoric, creates a lot of food for thought.

Shows there is far more paths to livelihood than what meets the eye when it comes down to training/mentality.

Feedback Score
    I very much agreed with Larry Vickers when I attended his 1911 operator course- he uses the b-8 bullseye for most shooting. He stated realistically whatever your group is on a square range double or triple it under stress. Which makes that plate sized good enough group 14+ inches, and add the dynamic of someone say bladed to you sideways now many of the shots in that groups are complete misses

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMM View Post
    Good story, thanks for sharing.

I had a similar incident almost 20 years ago. I had to park further down the street downtown one night when I was dating my wife. No one was out that far down so we were walking alone and a homeless guy crosses the street and starts yelling at us for money. He kept getting closer and closer and my now wife was getting scared. I finally had enough when he got within 10 yards (I had been telling him to go away already). I finally turned sharply put my left hand out in a stop position and pulled my coat back with my right and grabbed the handle of my 1911. At that point I was yelling for him to leave us alone. He finally got the hint, threw his hands up and turned around and left. I stayed put watching until he was gone.

Up until that point she always thought I was crazy for carrying a gun. She had leaned in and asked if I was carrying as he was crossing the street that night, funny how fear can change a mind...lol Since she has never said a negative word about it, even when I've had to turn around and go back because I walked out in a hurry and left it. I also started being more deliberate about carrying since that event too.
    It was the mighty .45 acp. So much stopping power he stopped as soon as he saw it. Probably wouldn’t have happened had you been carrying a 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by TomBowie; 03-05-22 at 17:40.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234