Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol build question

Feedback Score

Pistol build question

For a pistol build would you recommend 10.5 or 8.5?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I would choose 10.5 between those two. 11.5 or 12.5 if your state doesn't have overall length rules.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What caliber?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    223/556

Feedback Score
    I would say 11.5-12.5.
    10.3/5 of your choices.
    <10” id go 300blk or 277 Wolverine, maybe even 6.8.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    MN Has anything over 26" is considered an AOW, even if classified as pistol. So, I was limited to 11.5 with Shockwave. If using as SBA3. You might be able to squeeze it in. It's been forever since I checked last, but if going from the most rear solid object, I had to move in my KAK brace a couple inches to keep it within those bounds.

No sense in nonsense, but it is what it is.

ETA: Jut broke out my pistol and tape. From the "estimated bare muzzle length" (meaning a flash hider is on it, and I am probably 1/4-1/2 inch up from the bare muzzle) mine comes in at around 25.8" from rear of the brace. If I measure the space from end of brace to tube, it's almost an inch. The KAK braces are as long as A5 Tubes, so. You could get away with an A5 tube with an SBA3, and a 12.5" to keep it under an OAL of 26.

Unless I am misconstruing our local laws (wouldn't be the first time) that's what my next build will be limited to for a pistol.

Depending on your state, none of this will matter. But, YMMV.

ETA2:
    So, out of interest of double checking my knowledge, I looked back at the Statute that applies to my state, it reads:
    Quote Originally Posted by MNScrewedUpRules
    624.712 DEFINITIONS.
    Subdivision 1.Scope. As used in sections 624.711 to 624.717, the terms defined in this section shall have the meanings given them.
    §Subd. 2.Pistol. "Pistol" includes a weapon designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and with an overall length less than 26 inches, or having a barrel or barrels of a length less than 18 inches in the case of a shotgun or having a barrel of a length less than 16 inches in the case of a rifle (1) from which may be fired or ejected one or more solid projectiles by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances; or (2) for which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, air or other gas, or vapor.
    "Pistol" does not include a device firing or ejecting a shot measuring .18 of an inch, or less, in diameter and commonly known as a "BB gun," a scuba gun, a stud gun or nail gun used in the construction industry or children's pop guns or toys.
    I've been missing that OR for years...

Damnit... I coulda just built out a 12.5 to start. Sadly, you can't use VFGs, even if over. It's considered a rifle in our state at that point.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-24-18 at 13:01.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Another reason for 11.5" is if you use a VFG, you will most likely be over the 26" OAL if your state doesnt have issues with the lenght, and >26" allows VFG use.
    -They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security- Benjamin Franklin

-Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.- Lamb of God- Omerta

ابن بيت وأنا كافر

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigeboyd View Post
    For a pistol build would you recommend 10.5 or 8.5?
    10.5" all day long. Not even a question with those choices.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    10.5" all day long. Not even a question with those choices.
    ^^^ Agreed 100%. For 5.56mm I won't go below 10.5".

300BLK I have a 9" BCM upper and I'm good with that. Different animal.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    OP, there's a a sub-forum here entitled "AR Pistols & Pistol Caliber ARs"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast