Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DD RIS III

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPDKar98k View Post
    I'm thinking this might be an alternative to the MK16 rail for Mk18s. It would be much easier for a unit armorer to just swap these out using the old barrel nuts already on the guns rather than having to disassemble everything for the G rail.
    Did anyone actually read the post or comments on SSD regarding this rail? It was developed at the request of a Marine Corps unit, but was not selected. It is being evaluated for other programs and it looks like DD may also launch them commercially.

I personally prefer the Hodge Wedgelock and the new Geissele systems over the DD system. I am also really looking forward to the new Pinchlock rails from
    Hodge.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    Did anyone actually read the post or comments on SSD regarding this rail? It was developed at the request of a Marine Corps unit, but was not selected. It is being evaluated for other programs and it looks like DD may also launch them commercially.

I personally prefer the Hodge Wedgelock and the new Geissele systems over the DD system. I am also really looking forward to the new Pinchlock rails from
    Hodge.

I think part of the issue is there are other systems which install quicker and with fewer parts. While the RIS II is a solid system, if you look at the Geissele / Centurion Arms / and others, the use of a non-timed barrel nut along with only two or three screws from the side make for a rapid installation. This means nothing to the average person, but combine the fewer parts to maintain (or lose) along with the time involved in rebuilding hundreds of weapons, and it starts to become important.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    The attachment system of the RIS rails requires that the rail itself be pretty wide and by default, heavy. Can't they do something a little more streamlined?
    They absolutely can, it is more a question of if they see a benefit in doing so. In the pictures shown, they are using (or what appears to be) a standard RIS II which had the sides milled and MLOK style slots put in. Same extrusion and existing hardware keeps costs down. If they were asked for this, they did what was requested.

With Geissele making headway into the military rail game, DD may have an agreement in place with them, or may already have other samples made which feature simplistic installation. None of us know at this point outside of DD and G, but I wouldn't be stunned if both ideas were in place.

Think of it this way. If SOCOM or the Army wants an complete upper receiver group, and Geissele makes the rail with DD making the barrels, they both win.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I think part of the issue is there are other systems which install quicker and with fewer parts. While the RIS II is a solid system, if you look at the Geissele / Centurion Arms / and others, the use of a non-timed barrel nut along with only two or three screws from the side make for a rapid installation. This means nothing to the average person, but combine the fewer parts to maintain (or lose) along with the time involved in rebuilding hundreds of weapons, and it starts to become important.
    And anyone who has installed a 6 bolt RIS rail knows they are a pain in the ass by comparison.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    And anyone who has installed a 6 bolt RIS rail knows they are a pain in the ass by comparison.
    The only way to do them in volume is to have a long flex drill piece and use the right bit. That way you bypass the cursing and quarter turns with the allen wrench.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The only way to do them in volume is to have a long flex drill piece and use the right bit. That way you bypass the cursing and quarter turns with the allen wrench.
    I’ve always used ratchets with extensions to reach the head. Normally works pretty quick, but I’m only working on one, I can’t think of how it must be to work on them in mass.

Feedback Score
    Striking resemblance to the new Hodge rail:

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/01/10...hodge-defense/

Mr. Hodge mentioned on another forum that this rail was developed to spec for a government request, I wonder if DD was competing for the same contract.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That painful install is Juice worth the proverbial squeeze.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm liking the looks of that. Hopefully they will be able to found, unlike the Wedge Locks which are usually out of stock everywhere.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That painful install is Juice worth the proverbial squeeze.
    Don't tell me that you have not only embraced the idea of rails, but that you prefer the pimptastic ones!?!?! Hard to get more combat pimp than the RIS II series....
    Stick

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast