Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What Hat Are You Wearing?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    As discussed in another thread, I favor an Akubra Australian military slouch hat converted to a "safari" hat.

I convert it by removing the hardware that allows you to pin one brim up (why wear a brimmed hat if you're going to pin one side up?).

Then I order the real military puggaree from Lawrance Ordnance https://www.lawranceordnance.com/, and complete the image. I discard the cheesy green puggaree that comes with the hat. Apparently the hats shipped to the US are in the configuration ordered by the Haitian military, and that's why you don't get the genuine Australian 7-pleat pug with it to begin with. I also remove the chin strap since it's barely adjustable and a nuisance.

I always was a fan of the Tarzan/Jungle/Safari movies of yesteryear, and this seems as close as I can get to the "reel" thing.

I did some research, and a lot of the photos I found of big game hunters in Africa of the last 150 years or so seem to show the person wearing that era's equivalent of the Australian slouch hat! So I feel I've "nailed" the authenticity on this.

For those that don't know, Akubras are made in Australia and distributed through https://www.davidmorgan.com/shop/pro...hat-open-crown

The slouch hat comes with an open crown, so I always pay them the extra twenty bucks to put a bash on it.

Akubras are built to last. If you're looking for a hat that is "dressy" and meant to be worn to dinner or something, then Akubra probably isn't for you. But if you're out in the sticks and need a hat that can be dropped, blown off, rained on, and dropped in a volcano, then Akubra is a tough hat that can withstand a lot of abuse.

It's a little dark in the pic, but the hat is an olive green (British Khaki) with a greenish-tan khaki puggaree that can easily be removed if necessary.

Attachment 52120

What hat are you wearing?
    Two questions:

1- Did you order the puggaree in the same size as your hat or did you order a size (or two) up?
    And
    2- Did you put that puggaree on upside down?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)

Depends on the day of the week.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Two questions:

1- Did you order the puggaree in the same size as your hat or did you order a size (or two) up?
    And
    2- Did you put that puggaree on upside down?
    I did put the puggarree on upside down for shits and giggles to see if anyone noticed. Of course the pleats go at the top a la the Australian military. Each of the seven pleats represents the seven Australian states. Good catch. I wore it that way for a couple of days because it was tighter upside down and didn't shift around as much. Later, when I took the puggarree off and washed it in hot water then dried it in the clothes dryer it shrank just enough to fit. I now wear it right side up like you're supposed to.

Always order the size puggarree that corresponds to the size of hat. If you order one that's a little big, it may shift too much. When you have the correct size, be prepared for it to take a little effort to get it on the hat the first time. As I said, mine loosened up over time and I had to shrink it in hot water and the clothes dryer to get it back to the right size. When you order from Lawrence Ordnance, you might want to get two just in case one is too small. The "correct" size does have some variation in both the hat and the pug, so having a spare is not a bad idea in case you just can't get one on.

BTW, David Morgan charges $20 for different bashes. I like the Coober Pedy bash for the classic safari hat look. The pinched telescope bash also looks good if you're after the "Out of Africa" or "Ghost in the Darkness" safari hat bash. The one in the photo is the Coober Pedy bash, but after months of abuse. You have to tell David Morgan you want a specific bash in the comments, because they only list certain ones "officially."
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 08-13-18 at 17:44.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I typically wear a 13 year old John Deere ball cap that I thought I lost in the Charleston,SC harbor but found floating over a sand bar 4 hours later. This thing is salty and faded!

In the windter I wear a Magpul or Arc’teryx beanie.

In the summer at the beach I wear a Tilley.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    Been looking for that "Pale Rider" Hat, but @ +500U$D for a made in the U.S.A. quality one! Hmmm.
    https://www.knudsenhats.com/pale-rider.html (7x Beaver 310.00 10x Beaver 366.00) (made to order - a lot of complaints about ship time - no really about their quality)

https://thelastbestwest.com/shop/cow...-handmade-hat/ (5x Beaver 305.00 20X Beaver 425.00)

http://jaxonbilthats.com/shop/custom...tom-movie-hat/ 10X $295.00 http://jaxonbilthats.com/custom-hats/prices/

I'd go with the Tom Horn style myself.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Tilley Airflo when hiking: https://www.tilley.com/us_en/ltm6-airflo-hat.html

Boonie hat for working in the yard.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I did put the puggarree on upside down for shits and giggles to see if anyone noticed. Of course the pleats go at the top a la the Australian military. Each of the seven pleats represents the seven Australian states. Good catch. I wore it that way for a couple of days because it was tighter upside down and didn't shift around as much. Later, when I took the puggarree off and washed it in hot water then dried it in the clothes dryer it shrank just enough to fit. I now wear it right side up like you're supposed to.

Always order the size puggarree that corresponds to the size of hat. If you order one that's a little big, it may shift too much. When you have the correct size, be prepared for it to take a little effort to get it on the hat the first time. As I said, mine loosened up over time and I had to shrink it in hot water and the clothes dryer to get it back to the right size. When you order from Lawrence Ordnance, you might want to get two just in case one is too small. The "correct" size does have some variation in both the hat and the pug, so having a spare is not a bad idea in case you just can't get one on.

BTW, David Morgan charges $20 for different bashes. I like the Coober Pedy bash for the classic safari hat look. The pinched telescope bash also looks good if you're after the "Out of Africa" or "Ghost in the Darkness" safari hat bash. The one in the photo is the Coober Pedy bash, but after months of abuse. You have to tell David Morgan you want a specific bash in the comments, because they only list certain ones "officially."
    I got my puggaree one size larger than my Akubra and it was extremely tight going on. And my Akubra was already a little small and it got smaller with the puggaree on it.

I doused it in warm water - along with the hat around the band - and pulled it tight on my head over a shemagh... and now everything seems to fit fine. But the puggaree is still quite tight on the hat. Not that I mind it.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post

Depends on the day of the week.
    I like the one on the left better.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I like the one on the left better.
    I wish they (and other makers) sold one that just had LaRue and left off all the 'Tactical' indicators.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I wish they (and other makers) sold one that just had LaRue and left off all the 'Tactical' indicators.
    Same.

I would wear a LaRue Dillo hat daily if I could.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast