Thread: Budget Golf Clubs

Feedback Score

Budget Golf Clubs

I know nothing of golf, havent played since i was 14 but i wasnt terrible at the time, but must now get back into it.

Is there a colt 6920 of clubs? I dont want something that will fall apart, or that is so bad it will hold me back as I develop, but want to spend as little as possible because its behind 7 other hobbies in priority.

Or is there at least a suggested price range? I have no gear so ill need a full set (at least 4 irons, 1 wood, putter and wedge) and a bag.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Best suggestion I can give you is to go to the Callaway website and look at their second hand clubs. Big selection for different skill levels. Lots of different price ranges depending on the club condition. I can tell you that the "very good" is almost new. They recondition and regrip them. It's really the best deal in golf. Even well worn Callaways are going to play better than new knock offs at the same price. Read the club descriptions, that will help match the clubs to your skill level. Most of the time, these are traded in clubs from good golfers who just want the newest stuff and you'll find they are better conditioned than you expect. This is quality 2nd hand stuff. You can get a full set of like new steel shafted irons for under $300.
    Last edited by soulezoo; 05-24-18 at 20:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's Callaway preowned dot com.

By the way, a full set is 14 clubs. Usually 10 irons (3-9 + pitching wedge and sand wedge- choose between gap wedge or lob wedge or maybe even a utility hybrid) putter, driver, 3 and 5 wood. That's the most common.
    Last edited by soulezoo; 05-24-18 at 20:41.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    DO NOT GET AN ALL IN ONE SET!

If you’ve got a local golf shop go check it out. They will help get you into a reasonably priced set based on skill and needs. There really is no standard baseline golf club. You don’t need to spend a ton to get something reasonable. Feel is important. You might not know what great feel is but you’ll know what bad feel is.

Taylor Made, Callaway, Ping etc all made a decent entry level products. Don’t be afraid to get the model that’s 3 years old on clearance. Avoid big box store brands.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Suggest you hit up your local public courses and check out boards where folks can post sale items. There are often barely used sets available for cheap if you look...

A good start would be a decent set of irons from 6 to 9, and a couple wedges (approach/pitch and sand)

A nice #4 hybrid and a good 3 wood, a driver and a putter, and you’re in business.

Another place worth looking is www.rockbottomgolf.com

Good luck,

Feedback Score
    As far as brands, fit is more important than brand, stick with name brands, avoid blades.

I like Callaway wedges, Ping irons, and Cleveland drivers. Taylor Made makes good woods too, and hybrids, but those are preferences. Cobra, Mizuno, etc. major brands are all good. Titelist is excellent but pricy.

Club head lie and shaft flex are best fit to your swing.

No brand is really best all around. Price on used and prior year models vary by location a lot. If lots af courses in your area, better chances you’ll find great deals on lightly used gear and discontinued models.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Ping, Callaway, Taylormade, Adams and Cobra. Stick to those brands. Srixon, Titleist, Ben Hogan are expensive. Ping g30 are forgiving clubs. I have a set of Nikes that I like but not as much as I liked my Taylormade R7 and R9's. I hit in the low 80's high 70's on a good day and my hypothetical club set would be, Taylormade Driver, Ping irons, Callaway wedges or if I was a 2-6 handicap: Srixon driver, Mizuno irons, cleavland wedges

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Best of luck in the clubs hunt.

As a former, "recovering" golfer I found a Tee shirt that seems ideal. (:

Feedback Score
    Thanks all.
    ^yea- dont really want to spend $ on golf- rather buy a case if ammo, but my bosses boss keeps pushing me to start so...

Ill call it an investment.