Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most reliable QD scope mount for ARs?

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Steve Fisher turned me onto the MI mounts and they are pretty much all I use for QD mounts. I run an Accupower in an MI 1.93 mount and it is rock solid. For non QD, Geissele all the way, but for QD, MI is good to go. They have a superior locking mechanism compared to the ADM mounts and the RTZ has not been an issue for me with either RDS or LPVO’s.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    Is MI at the level of bobro?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I am curious, why quick release ?? I don’t get the fascination with QR. when you mount an optic, you want it stable. Through thick and thin, up, down, etc. You do not want any movement in the optic or mount. Guys get attached to QR, and I used to be as well. My line of thinking was, “if my scope goes down or gets broken, I can flip it off, out of the way, and do work with my optics.” Well......here’s the truth: scopes don’t break much anymore. Not the good ones at least, and if your scope becomes so damaged in a firefight that it is no good.....I predict bigger problems than just flipping the scope off with your QR mount. Also.....here’s the answer: 45* offset sights. MagPul Pro, offset at a 45* angle. You don’t even have to remove your scope....you turn the gun and drive on.

I admit, I was all about the QR too. However, as someone who shoots a rifle almost daily, at the very least weekly, as a full time LEO Trainer/Armorer, 3Gun competitor, and a PRS shooter, I’ve just never been in any situation that couldn’t be solved by offset sights.

If you’re reasoning is changing the scope to another rifle, keep a wrench in your bag. Problem solved.

Feedback Score
    QD mounts have more parts therefore inherently less reliable/strong compare to fixed mounts which ultimately has more contact points to the rail.

Heard that straight from Mr. Spuhr himself.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    I am curious, why quick release ?? I don’t get the fascination with QR. when you mount an optic, you want it stable. Through thick and thin, up, down, etc. You do not want any movement in the optic or mount. Guys get attached to QR, and I used to be as well. My line of thinking was, “if my scope goes down or gets broken, I can flip it off, out of the way, and do work with my optics.” Well......here’s the truth: scopes don’t break much anymore. Not the good ones at least, and if your scope becomes so damaged in a firefight that it is no good.....I predict bigger problems than just flipping the scope off with your QR mount. Also.....here’s the answer: 45* offset sights. MagPul Pro, offset at a 45* angle. You don’t even have to remove your scope....you turn the gun and drive on.

I admit, I was all about the QR too. However, as someone who shoots a rifle almost daily, at the very least weekly, as a full time LEO Trainer/Armorer, 3Gun competitor, and a PRS shooter, I’ve just never been in any situation that couldn’t be solved by offset sights.

If you’re reasoning is changing the scope to another rifle, keep a wrench in your bag. Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    QD mounts have more parts therefore inherently less reliable/strong compare to fixed mounts which ultimately has more contact points to the rail.

Heard that straight from Mr. Spuhr himself.
    I agree, to that end...new thread
    Which are your favorite NON-QD scope mounts for an AR?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm still not seeing how the Bobro is commanding $250 plus?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I am curious, why quick release ?? I’ve just never been in any situation that couldn’t be solved by offset sights.
    Off set sights are not an option on the work rifle. Everytime you take the rifle out of the rack in the air conditioned car in the 90 percent humidity weather the scope gets moisture on it. Can't see a thing for a few minutes. AP pro and VX-R do the same thing. Flip caps don't help. David

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Plus, if something happens to your primary optic to the point of it becoming unusable, aren't you going to be unmounting it for repair,replacement anyway necessitating removal from the gun/mount anyway? Then you will obviously be rezeroing.
    I too used to concern myself with a reliable scope mount, and being able to find few that offered everything in reality that qd is supposed to offer in theory without emptying my bank account I abandoned the notion that a qd mount was needed for optics.
    Dueck Defense or KAC 45degree offset irons are awesome.
    Last edited by BillB; 05-27-18 at 09:28.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    Is MI at the level of bobro?
    I do not own a Bobro, so I cannot comment on it, but it does get very favorable reviews. The MI QD mounts that I own have all been excellent with RTZ in my experience. Steve Fisher has a few videos on YouTube with them in use, as well. Steve is a long time friend and I will always trust his word on things like this.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    Off set sights are not an option on the work rifle. Everytime you take the rifle out of the rack in the air conditioned car in the 90 percent humidity weather the scope gets moisture on it. Can't see a thing for a few minutes. AP pro and VX-R do the same thing. Flip caps don't help. David
    Why are offset sights a “no go” on the work gun? Unless it is a Sniper Rifle and you’re talking about having to jump out and within moments take a precision shot, offsets would work. The ones I’m referring to do not require you to look through the scope at all. That’s the point. You physically rotate the gun inward and have a set of sights to line up.

Unless you’re saying your department will not let you, in which case, wow.....I would campaign hard to get that changed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12