45 (100%)
    Both bolt catches are covered pretty well here:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ime-Bolt-Catch
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    The FCD is machined from a billet of steel, while the Geissele catch is investment cast (Not MIM).

Thank you, I was just going to go search for why Geissele was cheaper, but while the happy G machine is known for many things, low cost isn't one of them.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigereye View Post
    II ordered a couple more yesterday with 15% off this weekend.
    Where?

I need three (one for each lower, right?), and I'm "price-sensitive" (stingy).

Feedback Score
    I use these on my rifles. I highly recommended them.

https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l...ct_detail&p=61

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I use these on my rifles...
    Won't work for me... I need to use a magazine lock in stupid California.

(Again, let's please not talk about California.)

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    15% discount is at Forward Control Design

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I use these on my rifles. I highly recommended them.

https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l...ct_detail&p=61
    I also use those. Great product. Unfortunately they won't fit on my 308. Wish I would have bought more when they were cheaper.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I'm in the same boat. I find the bottom of the stock part too small. I've tried the FCD and the one from Seekins. Both are significant upgrades IMO.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/prod...olt-catch.html
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ABC/R (now in version 2) was created to work better when a receiver has an ambi mag release installed. Its angled upper and lower paddles offer more surface area, and a unique tactile feedback to make accessing it in low light, or no light conditions easier. We made the paddle larger but not overly large, as it was not our intention to make either accessible with an extended finger from the hand holding the grip, more info here: http://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com...y_ep_53-1.html

A side by side comparison with a factory bolt catch shows the angled lower paddle, and twice angled upper paddle (10 degree at the lower 50%, 15 degree at the upper 50%).

The back of the upper paddle is tapered to clear thick billet receivers.

MBC was created to allow that, its rather large lower paddle and close proximity to many ambi catch's lever can make accessing some ambi mag catches more difficult than a factory bolt catch. MBC is incompatible with our EMR-A(Enhanced Magazine Release, Ambidextrous) altogether. If you use an ambi mag catch with MBC, KAC's and Troy's would be better choices, as their levers are farther away from the MBC's large lower paddle.

ABC/R's lower paddle protrudes further from the receiver, which, combined with its 15 degree angle, forms a unique surface designed for the user's finger to quickly differentiate it from other control surfaces.

ABC/R, in either v1 (2015 to 2017) or v2 (2017 to present), has always been billet machined. At one point when we had partnered with the now defunct War Sport, they were machined from 17-4 forgings, but now they're straight billet machined from bar stock. Its higher cost has to do with the difficult and long machining time, each machine can only churn out 15 units an hour. If you think $42 is high, and indeed it is, you might be shocked to know we're actually under charging for it, and have been for a long time. The decision was made to keep it within reach for most users, a $60 bolt catch effectively puts it in the boutique category, and this is an image we do not want, as we don't make fashion firearms components and are not in the fashion business.

Military Moron had reviewed most of our products, including the ABC/R, it can be found here http://www.militarymorons.com/weapon...ss5.html#abcv2
    Last edited by Duffy; 05-26-18 at 17:36.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    ABC/R, in either v1 (2015 to 2017) or v2 (2017 to present), has always been billet machined. At one point when we had partnered with the now defunct War Sport, they were machined from 17-4 forgings, but now they're straight billet machined from bar stock. Its higher cost has to do with the difficult and long machining time, each machine can only churn out 15 units an hour. If you think $42 is high, and indeed it is, you might be shocked to know we're actually under charging for it, and have been for a long time...
    Thank you, and thank you for your other comprehensive postings here, and on your website... No such thing as too much info!

Your pricing philosophy is correct: $60 would be a deal breaker.

When I first saw the cast BAD bolt catch for $14 shipped, it seemed like a slam dunk. (NB: I'm not going to put a cast bolt catch in any of my guns, and BAD sells a billet version for more.)

$40ish is a lot for what it is (it's a small part!), but I'm coming from M14s, and custom small parts for those are also eye-wateringly expensive.

So, anyway, I'm going to buy one, try it, and then probably buy two more for my other ARs...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast