Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which are your favorite NON-QD scope mounts for an AR?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Which are your favorite NON-QD scope mounts for an AR?

Like many, I believe a super solid scope mount is more important than a scope mount that is easily and quickly removed and reinstalled. Since there have been plenty of threads on QD mounts, lets get into some NON-QD scope mounts.

I know there are some obvious top end mounts like those from Spuhr and Geissele but would like to hear which non-quick-detach mounts you prefer. I am primarily interested in a scope mount for an LPVO on and AR-15, but feel free to share thoughts if you would use a different mount on an AR-10 or higher magnification optics.

Do you prefer standard or extended mounts?

Do you have a solid "budget" mount?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a couple AERO lightweights. I like them alot for their lightness, but do suspect their robustness for hard use (I'm low speed high drag). I have a Weaver that's fairly light (5.5 oz?) but seems pretty robust. They are all about $80 to $90. They are all medium extended.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 05-26-18 at 20:59. Reason: more info

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'd be curious to know what attributes Spuhr mounts offer? Especially sine they run $400+. When KAC, Geissele, Nightforce, etc are in the $250-$330 range.
    Last edited by TexasAggie2005; 05-26-18 at 21:34.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Geissele

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post
    I'd be curious to know what attributes Spuhr mounts offer? Especially when they run $400+. When KAC, Geissele, Nightforce, etc are in the $250-$330 range.
    Huge strength I would imagine. Although the others are all quite strong in their own right.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    So many people seem to use the Aero that it has to be decent. I jumped on Geissele’s Memorial Day sake and bought one of their 1.93 mounts which I’m pretty excited about. Now just to suck it up and buy a Razor for it.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I’ve have both Aero mounts and Geissele.

Most of my rifle scope mount experience is LaRue, ADM. and Bobro, all QD mounts. The Geissele my first high quality non-QD mount.
    The one word that comes to mind when I’m handling the Geissele mount is “precision”. From the serialized matched rings to the way the scope, is securely “embraced” or “enveloped” by the rings, to the way the mount secures to your rail. Every detail has been given to “precision”. Let me caveat by saying I’m far from being a Geissele fanboy. I’d run a LaRue Tactical MBT-2S over Geissele in 1/2 a NY second-all day and twice on Sunday. But non-fanboy or fanboy this Geissele Mount warrants respect and admiration. (Geez I sound like a freaking commercial.). It is made to exacting, precise tolerances. You can just see it, feel it. The way my Burris XTR II 1-8 fits into my Geissele rings made me think the rings and scope had been made from the same block of aluminum at the same time. I’m dead cereal.

So once I was that guy who said, “I’ll never spend THAT much money for a scope mount.” to a guy who owns one, I can say I’ve had a change of mind. Granted I did not pay close to retail, but if I were building or buying a precision rig, where I wanted “the best or damn near it” for all my components, the Geissele would be one of those components.
    Or If I was buying a LaRue OBR, or or a KAC ACC, or an LMT MWS, I would put a Geissele on it.

If I was building a truck gun and wanted to run a 1-x Burris AR-223 or Primary Arms sub $350 scope, then I would be fine with the Aero. Aero secures down very nicely to the rail, and their rings are a simple design that works. If I was was buying a hog gun or other hunting rig, or if building budget AR I would run an Aero mount.

This how I look at it in short: The Geissele is an outstanding mount. Visibly you can just see the quality and the exacting specs it was crafted to. The gun or build would need to warrant the expenditure. Likewise if I needed a solid, reliable but affordable
    mount, that’s also very lightweight - Aero Precision would fit the bill perfectly.

And sorry if you didn’t ask “and why”

RTT

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Geissele and Badger Ordnance. Geissele because of the meticulous work that goes into them and them being freaking rock solid. Badger because of my experience with their scope rings/mounts on bolt guns.
    Last edited by drtywk; 05-27-18 at 13:21.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    I use the Leupold solid mounts. Everything you need and nothing you don't. Snug them down with a wrench and never touch them again.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    And sorry if you didn’t ask “and why”

"Whys" are good, thanks for your input. I do want to check out those Aero mounts, they look pretty decent for a budget mount.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast