Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird thought - red dot as back up for red dot?

Feedback Score

Weird thought - red dot as back up for red dot?

So I’ve been reading and there are those out there that like iron sights as back up for optics but others that claim that flipping them up into position just takes too long in case if optic failure. Others claim we don’t need to back up for our optics because they are so reliable but what if they’re wrong? The arrival of an NOS offset Burkett Predator mount got me to thinking, why not use a red dot to back up a red dot? The backup would be instantly available and what are the odds both would go down at the same time? Problem is that it makes the SBR look weird with a T2 on top in a LaRue QD Mount and a RMR in the Burkett. Just too much crap hanging off of it. And then there is the cost of it all. What do you all think? Is this the dumbest idea ever or brilliant beyond words?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Weird thought - red dot as back up for red dot?

Quote Originally Posted by Levallois View Post
    So I’ve been reading and there are those out there that like iron sights as back up for optics but others that claim that flipping them up into position just takes too long in case if optic failure. Others claim we don’t need to back up for our optics because they are so reliable but what if they’re wrong? The arrival of an NOS offset Burkett Predator mount got me to thinking, why not use a red dot to back up a red dot? The backup would be instantly available and what are the odds both would go down at the same time? Problem is that it makes the SBR look weird with a T2 on top in a LaRue QD Mount and a RMR in the Burkett. Just too much crap hanging off of it. And then there is the cost of it all. What do you all think? Is this the dumbest idea ever or brilliant beyond words?
    Brilliant? Negative Ghostrider the pattern is full.

And that’s why they make fixed irons.

My SOP says whenever my AR has an RDS, it has fixed irons. Not as popular these days it seems, you can reason why that is, I have my own suspicions.
    DD, Troy, PRI, LaRue make excellent fixed irons to name a few, and they cost a lot less than a new proven optic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Negative Ghostrider the pattern is full.
    Yeah, that.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Do what you want really, but irons is twtg. If in a scenario that the time of flipping irons up would mean life or death, they should have been flipped from the start.

Feedback Score
    Second offset RDS also doesn't address fogging issues, which may be why you're unable to use your primary optic.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    If you Google Cabela's 3x circle dot you will see reviews where it was offered with a piggy back feflex back up ,and yes it looked weird . I took the rails off my Cabelas circle dot . The best back up is this / Red dot properly installed at the right hight to put the perment front sight in the middle of it ,this way if dot goes out the unit becomes a large rear peep sight . You will be shocked how fast and accurate you can hit at real senerio ranges this way .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    If you Google Cabela's 3x circle dot you will see reviews where it was offered with a piggy back feflex back up ,and yes it looked weird . I took the rails off my Cabelas circle dot . The best back up is this / Red dot properly installed at the right hight to put the perment front sight in the middle of it ,this way if dot goes out the unit becomes a large rear peep sight . You will be shocked how fast and accurate you can hit at real senerio ranges this way .

They need to make a flip up rear peep combined with an RDS mount. Or a fixed rear peep combined with an RDS mount similar to what is found on pistols that have RDS mounted with suppressor height sights.
    Combined with a fixed front HK style sight, this would be fast, light and accurate enough for emergency uses
    Last edited by joeg26er; 05-28-18 at 07:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    They need to make a flip up rear peep combined with an RDS mount. Or a fixed rear peep combined with an RDS mount similar to what is found on pistols that have RDS mounted with suppressor height sights.
    Combined with a fixed front HK style sight, this would be fast, light and accurate enough for emergency uses
    I used to take time to turn on red dot or flip up rear sight every shot until one night when an armadillo ran across the field and I just put the front sight on it and shot it was so easy I never worry with rear sight or taking time to turn on the dot anyone at close range . Of course cheek weld I'd crucial this way as is with rear sight .

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    +1 on the fogging issue, come out of a cold vehicle on a very hot day and any glass will be unusable for a while

Honestly, with the ruggedness of today's red dots like Aimpoint, the chances of your optic going down are pretty slim if maintenanced correctly.

The backup irons are there because nothing is perfect, but unless you're in near zero ambient light, they work great... hence the white light.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Levallois View Post
    It's not the dumbest idea, nor is it brilliant beyond words. The idea has two major hurdles to overcome- cost and institutional inertia but it does have merit. What I would do (and I've actually thought of doing this as an experiment) is run both RDS inline with each other with one sighted in at around one hundred yards and the other at very close range, maybe 10. That would give the shooter two dots. One for longer ranges and one for close range to compensate for offset. It would also give the shooter a backup sight if one should go down. Fogging would still be a problem, but fogging is still a problem with back up irons unless the back up irons are offset.

Really, what I want is a two dot Aimpoint but overcoming institutional inertia to get the idea accepted by the shooting community is nearly impossible.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-28-18 at 10:57.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast