Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird thought - red dot as back up for red dot?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    So you may not win any beauty contests, and yes you will have to adjust a little to that rear sight, but if you train (not once a month range day) and use a proper sight picture it does not interfere with getting a good sight picture and rounds on your target. I’ve ran this from day one. I was out Saturday for 4 1/2 hours running drills with the 10.3 you saw and another SBR. Over obstacles, beside obstacles and sweating heard, breathing heavy, eyes blurry from sweat, I still got clean torso and head shots. Repeatedly. Yes I’ve debated sometimes using a rear folding sight, it is cleaner.... yes it looks more cool than with a bigger fixed rear sight. But if you want a true “backup sighting system” that’s instant ready - this is what guys have used to kill bad guys. My take is that if it worked for them, it can work for me.

Your other option has been mentioned. Use your reticle and front sight. I think Frank Proctor even suggests that. VoR is right. A good Aimpoint or EOTech likely isn’t going to fail. Although I did have a friend send me a pic of me M68 CCO that is bravo delta.

It can happen, maybe rare, but anything can happen. If you want an instant-don’t miss a beat- sighting system, this is it. IMO. And it works.

Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 05-28-18 at 11:04.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    +1 on the fogging issue, come out of a cold vehicle on a very hot day and any glass will be unusable for a while

Honestly, with the ruggedness of today's red dots like Aimpoint, the chances of your optic going down are pretty slim if maintenanced correctly.

The backup irons are there because nothing is perfect, but unless you're in near zero ambient light, they work great... hence the white light.
    I am very particular about keeping my eyglasses , shooting optics and bios clean and use cat crap defogger cleaner so fogging is not an issue for me .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Last edited by Levallois; 05-28-18 at 12:07.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Levallois View Post
    Who's Kydex is that?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Who's Kydex is that?
    Gunfighters[Inc]

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I believe Pat Rogers advocated a visible laser as a backup for a RDS going down.

He wrote an article in SWAT I believe.

I know it’s not exactly what you asked, but slapping a CT Railmaster on your rifle would probably be a whole lot less cumbersome than adding a second RDS.
    Last edited by bb223; 05-29-18 at 03:46.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Levallois View Post
    Gunfighters[Inc]
    Thanks
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Fogging is the #1 reason irons why 2 out of 3 of my serious rifles have offset irons. If your LPV fogs, so will your offset RDS.

The 3rd has a T-2 with traditional BUIS (Magpul Pros) and my likely use of the optic in a humid environment with no time to defog is just leave the front and rear lens covers down - since the rear is clear, shoot both eyes open and you will still see the dot.

Even then I think about putting offsets on it.

Feedback Score
    My cousin runs a 2nd offset RDS for pcc competitions, for around difficult angles.

Also, +1 on the fogging issue

Feedback Score
    How about this instead? 3X ACOG TA33 with RMR as close range and back up sight.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Levallois; 06-09-18 at 12:47.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast