Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fenix lights

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Here's another question:

Would a quality 600 lumen light be better than a 1000 lumen light that has been mentioned here? If a person did get a quality light that ran 600 for a true two hours with a great tint and throw, that seems like a better choice to me.

Do people get too wrapped up in lumens versus all the other factors that go into a good light? Or, as I've read other places, give me all the lumens and the rest doesn't matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swobe1 View Post
    Here's another question:

Would a quality 600 lumen light be better than a 1000 lumen light that has been mentioned here? If a person did get a quality light that ran 600 for a true two hours with a great tint and throw, that seems like a better choice to me.

Do people get too wrapped up in lumens versus all the other factors that go into a good light? Or, as I've read other places, give me all the lumens and the rest doesn't matter?

Absolutely. 600 actual lumens is better than 1000 lumens for 20 seconds. I agree that the lumens ratings claimed by most manufacturers are total BS.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The problem usually is that people think of lumens in different ways. You can have 2 different flashlights that put out the same exact tested lumens, but have totally different characteristics. Depending on what the buyer wants, might sway their opinion on either one either way.

Lumens is the total amount of visible light from the LED. Think of it as the volume of water that comes out of a water hose per minute (gpm).

The gpm can remain the same in both hoses, but the spray pattern can be totally different. One hose can cover a wide area, but not go very far, the other can shoot far, but not cover much area. You buy the light and corresponding reflector to match what you are trying to achieve.

You also buy the right light for the situation. If it is a pistol or weapon light, how long will you really have it continuously on? Peak output if it steps down after a 5 minutes or whenever it hits it's thermal stepdown (I don't know of any quality light these days that steps down after 20 seconds) is inconsequential because you probably will never get there.

On the other hand, you want a continuous duty light for going camping, walking, spelunking, or diving, etc. But again, when in these situations, you rarely need HI or Turbo mode anyway. You will most likely be running it in a low or medium mode, which again is inconsequential to a step down happening.

If you want in-depth honest reviews on a lot of lights by a guy that goes by Selfbuilt, go here: https://www.flashlightreviews.ca/reviews.htm There is more info on those reviews then you will need but he compares them to similar lights using exact methods that he explains fully. His Lumen ratings for lights are measured from 30-120 seconds after activating light. If there is a stepdown that occurs, it will be in parenthesis. Have fun, it is a rabbit hole for sure, but the education is great if you like that sort of thing.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    So a little follow up. Tonight at work I was using my Protac 2L walking some yards and another officer I was with was using the in car Pelican. His Pelican had a longer throw, but my Protac was just as bright on the ground and against building's. Kind of made up my mind. I'm going to grab the Streamlight Protac 2L-X and then grab a Panasonic battery to throw in it. 500 lumens and a three hour run time.

Feedback Score
    ^^^^ Good call. That is a lot of bang for the buck.

Streamlight is very under rated. I still have both my original 1987 purchased SL-20 (slide switch) and my 1990 issue SL-20x. The both still work fine. I keep the original SL-20 around for sentimental reasons. The Sl-20x with a Malkoff 700 lumen LED drop-in is still a formidable player. A new LiOn battery ever few years, these lights will out last me.

Great thread... I remembered I needed a new light to carry while traveling, so I picked up another Surefire. One can't have too many good lights!
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Agree with DetSog, good choice. Cannot go wrong with Streamlight lights.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Been carrying a Fenix LD02 with lithium AAA daily since November 2015 without any problems despite being dropped on hardwood floors several times for what it is worth.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have used a PD35 and PD25 for the last couple of years as my travel / utility lights.

I had a E1B Surefire, in fact I think I still HAVE it (somewhere) but just haven't found where I last put it.

Kind of like my Surefire Fury.

I can't lose cheap lights to save my life, but expensive ones... always seem to disappear.

So I've been please with Fenix thus far.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post

I had a E1B Surefire, in fact I think I still HAVE it (somewhere) but just haven't found where I last put it.

I can't lose cheap lights to save my life, but expensive ones... always seem to disappear.
    This is my dilemma...and the main reason I buy lots of cheap (but usable) lights and knives.

Using Surefire as the presumed “standard”, and Streamlight as a close-ish second, “cheap” lights used to mean Fenix and LAPolicegear.com house brand lights, which are totally usable lights that I carried and kept around, loaned out, gave away, stashed in vehicles, range bags, and tool kits. They work great and have NEVER given up on me (excluding battery dying).

My newest cheap quality light is the Thorfire lights from Amazon.com. Been using them for a while. My EDC light is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XQ4TY45/

Latest model I’ve tried and LOVE is this handy little dude. Ended up buying several for friends...who also love them!

https://www.amazon.com/Thorfire-Head...58L&ref=plSrch

Yes, they are cheap China products, but they really hold up well. WAAAAYYY better that those cheap Duracell or Coast lights you get at Costco.

Throw a couple in your cart next time you are on Amazon and try them...they are absolutely solid lights.

And yes, I do have several Surefire lights and a handful of different Streamlight and Fenix lights. But they are pretty much reserved to nightstand, safe, and travel bag duties where I’m much less apt to loan them out or lose them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    We keep a Streamlight PolyTac in the center console of my wife's car. I have a 1-CR123 Foursevens Quark in the console of my car but I always carry a Malkoff in my pocket.

The thought of losing a light the cost of a Malkoff is depressing, but I figure not as depressing as having a light fail in a moment of need. While most are entirely adequate for even serious use, a perusal of the Candlepower Forums reveals failures of the best know import lights are not rare. All of these currently on the first page;

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...lls-of-burning

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ht-s1a-trouble

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Nitecore-AGAIN

When I travel on business I do take a Foursevens Quark which performs well for the intended utilitarian use. But like selecting a WML for a carbine, I prefer a tier-1 light for the more serious use.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123