G&R Tactical
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fenix lights

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Here's another question:

Would a quality 600 lumen light be better than a 1000 lumen light that has been mentioned here? If a person did get a quality light that ran 600 for a true two hours with a great tint and throw, that seems like a better choice to me.

Do people get too wrapped up in lumens versus all the other factors that go into a good light? Or, as I've read other places, give me all the lumens and the rest doesn't matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swobe1 View Post
    Here's another question:

Would a quality 600 lumen light be better than a 1000 lumen light that has been mentioned here? If a person did get a quality light that ran 600 for a true two hours with a great tint and throw, that seems like a better choice to me.

Do people get too wrapped up in lumens versus all the other factors that go into a good light? Or, as I've read other places, give me all the lumens and the rest doesn't matter?

Absolutely. 600 actual lumens is better than 1000 lumens for 20 seconds. I agree that the lumens ratings claimed by most manufacturers are total BS.

Feedback Score
    The problem usually is that people think of lumens in different ways. You can have 2 different flashlights that put out the same exact tested lumens, but have totally different characteristics. Depending on what the buyer wants, might sway their opinion on either one either way.

Lumens is the total amount of visible light from the LED. Think of it as the volume of water that comes out of a water hose per minute (gpm).

The gpm can remain the same in both hoses, but the spray pattern can be totally different. One hose can cover a wide area, but not go very far, the other can shoot far, but not cover much area. You buy the light and corresponding reflector to match what you are trying to achieve.

You also buy the right light for the situation. If it is a pistol or weapon light, how long will you really have it continuously on? Peak output if it steps down after a 5 minutes or whenever it hits it's thermal stepdown (I don't know of any quality light these days that steps down after 20 seconds) is inconsequential because you probably will never get there.

On the other hand, you want a continuous duty light for going camping, walking, spelunking, or diving, etc. But again, when in these situations, you rarely need HI or Turbo mode anyway. You will most likely be running it in a low or medium mode, which again is inconsequential to a step down happening.

If you want in-depth honest reviews on a lot of lights by a guy that goes by Selfbuilt, go here: https://www.flashlightreviews.ca/reviews.htm There is more info on those reviews then you will need but he compares them to similar lights using exact methods that he explains fully. His Lumen ratings for lights are measured from 30-120 seconds after activating light. If there is a stepdown that occurs, it will be in parenthesis. Have fun, it is a rabbit hole for sure, but the education is great if you like that sort of thing.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    So a little follow up. Tonight at work I was using my Protac 2L walking some yards and another officer I was with was using the in car Pelican. His Pelican had a longer throw, but my Protac was just as bright on the ground and against building's. Kind of made up my mind. I'm going to grab the Streamlight Protac 2L-X and then grab a Panasonic battery to throw in it. 500 lumens and a three hour run time.

Feedback Score
    ^^^^ Good call. That is a lot of bang for the buck.

Streamlight is very under rated. I still have both my original 1987 purchased SL-20 (slide switch) and my 1990 issue SL-20x. The both still work fine. I keep the original SL-20 around for sentimental reasons. The Sl-20x with a Malkoff 700 lumen LED drop-in is still a formidable player. A new LiOn battery ever few years, these lights will out last me.

Great thread... I remembered I needed a new light to carry while traveling, so I picked up another Surefire. One can't have too many good lights!
    U.S. Army vet. -- Former career LEO. -- NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    Agree with DetSog, good choice. Cannot go wrong with Streamlight lights.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123