Thread: 338 Federal.... any fans????

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

338 Federal.... any fans????

Does anyone have any experience with this cartidge? I went on youtube and there isnt too many people doing much with it, although it looks like it has really good capabilities on paper. When I first heard about a 308 neck up too 338, I thouhgt it would be a slow moving, super close range only use application kinda like 300blk. It turn outs the 338 Fed moves for a big guy. The 180 gr loads are pushing out near 2800 FPS while the 210 gr are moving above 2600. The BC's for these bullets also never fall below .400, meaning these bricks dont fly too bad. I havent ran any unmbers through a ballistic calculator to compare these too, but they shouldnt fly worse than 55gr 556, and we push that out too 500m no problem. This thing seems liek a reloaders AR10 dream hunting round, or am I missing something?
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a factory DPMS AR10 in 338. It is probably my favorite rifle round and its really a step above 308. Itll drop anything in north america
    Be of good cheer, you men of Valor.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If I had to hunt big game with a short action rifle and be confined to the .473 case head, I’d use a .338 Federal with 180 grain bullets. Since I’m no so constrained, I use 30/06 with 180’s- similar velocity and trajectory but with better sectional density.

There is the 8.6 (.338) Creedmoor coming soon which is meant for fast-twist short barrels and heavy controlled-expansion bullets. Think of a giant, suppressed .300 Blackout.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Being stuck with a short action AR, it offers a bit more than you can get out of a 308. Especially if you want to shoot bullets heavier than 180gr.

It's in a great goldilocks power range for hunting almost anything, like the 30-06, 8mm Mauser, and 308. There are limited reasons to choose it over the more popular options just mentioned, so it's unlikely to ever be as easy to find ammo anywhere.

Realistically I'm not sure what I wouldn't hunt with a 308 and bonded/partition/solid copper 180gr load that I would with the 338...