Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Finding a Sub MOA 11.5 or 12.5 Barrel (Moved)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Most of my SBR’s wear a RDS, but I’ve thrown an ACOG on them with MOA shooting. My Colt 10.3 , 6945 is a MOA gun. I would go for SIONICS. I might try a few this Sunday and see what we can do.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    No it doesn't alter the precision, only the POI. But it does make my life easier :-)
    It just seems to me a 12.5" barrelled AR would be pretty difficult to shoot 1" groups with no matter what barrel was used.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloLarry View Post
    It just seems to me a 12.5" barrelled AR would be pretty difficult to shoot 1" groups with no matter what barrel was used.
    Because of the stunning recoil of the 223?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Best bang for the buck is probably the Larue Stealth Barrel in 12". I have a 16" that is a laser, a little heavy but has repeatable shot 1/2 moa if I do my part.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Short barrels are generally as/more accurate than longer barrels, up to their velocity-limited/bullet stability range. (Harmonics, flex, etc.) Here are a few examples of what I consider real-world, practical accuracy. Keep in mind the 10 rd groups, the low/no magnification optic, the rest (magazine, bipod, etc.), the ammo, and, of course, the shooter. **The tgt labeled "prone unsupported" is inaccurate. I was resting on the magazine.**
    The first is a DD chrome-lined gov't profile barrel cut to 10.75". M4SDII, BCM lower, Aero forged upper, Larue MBT trigger.

These are representative groups for this barrel, not hand-picked anomalies. I have several 10rd groups of Wolf Gold that are 1.5-1.6", but this set up will not do that every time.
    Note the POIs for each ammo type. All groups were fired with the same zero. Interesting that some very different ammo types have the same/very similar zero @ 100. Others, of course, are quite different (see next post.)
    >>In response to several inquiries: Yes, in my limited testing of 5 rd groups, the group size is notably smaller<<
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MQ105; 05-30-18 at 12:33.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This is a Sionics 11.5. BCM upper, same suppressor and lower as previous post. 4x optic. These are representative groups for this barrel, not hand-picked anomalies.
    As a side note, I haven't found the Mk318 to be accurate from any barrel I have tried. Keep in mind that my lot is seconds and a sample size of one.

Last edited by MQ105; 05-30-18 at 12:04.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Because of the stunning recoil of the 223?
    Tell me how you do it and include pictures.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloLarry View Post
    Why would it be more difficult?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    This is a Sionics 11.5. BCM upper, same suppressor and lower as previous post. 4x optic. These are representative groups for this barrel, not hand-picked anomalies.
    As a side note, I haven't found the Mk318 to be accurate from any barrel I have tried. Keep in mind that my lot is seconds and a sample size of one.

@mq105 - wow thanks for the groups. That is some valuable data.
    I had an upper that absolutely hated 69gr and up. Looked like your groups on the MK318. Was sub moa on 55gr though. Supposedly 1/8 twist but I suspect it was closer to 1/9

Seems like the Sionics is a bit more picky in 11.5
    The DD 10.5 seems to like the heavier rounds but does OK with 55gr too.

I am down to these barrels:
    TriArc 12.5 (mid length) (unknown gas port) $260
    Sionics RGP 11.5 (carbine) (.070 ?) $200
    Daniel Defense 12.5 (carbine) (.0595 per Brownells which seems super small?) $275
    Centurion Arms 12.5 LW (carbine) (.070?) $330
    These are all around 1.4 lbs give or take .1lbs
    but the Centurion Arms is lightest at 1lb 5.1oz which is about 2oz lighter.

But sub moa with 77gr is priority, then gas port though I will be using an SLR7 adjustable block

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I really don't measure or shoot for groups with my short guns but I had a DD 12.5 barrel and shot it out after about 16K rounds (some in full auto). I replaced it with a Noveske 12.5 barrel and it is significantly more accurate and less gassy.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast