Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Subgun Viable for Home Defense?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I own a MP5 and would have no problem and confidence of using it for HD, however I usually have a 10.3 SBR in 556 to do the dirty work. Colt 6945 seems to be my first choice as of late.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wtm75 View Post
    Those Lehigh bullets are the bee's knees. No question. But most others don't perform that way and barely expand while pinholing through. I guess if you stuck to those you'd be golden.
    Per usual, picking the right load for the job is half the battle, no pun intended.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Per usual, picking the right load for the job is half the battle, no pun intended.
    Agreed. Now if you use a 9mm Lehigh 65 gr +P loaded by Underwood out of a 16 inch barrel, it'll go 2100 fps. Don't know if concussion becomes an issue indoors since all the power would be burnt up in the barrel but there should be no flash. I'm not saying it's better than a real rifle but I'm curious what it'll do in a body.

Feedback Score
    This isn't really that hard, mission is what should drive your choice.

Everyday protect in the USA that you can carry on your person easily and in most case concealed, easy choice pistol.

Weapon concealed in your vehicle or inside your home, easy choice rifle.

Weapon that you can carry in a small bag and bring into action very quickly and you need a large round count, easy choice SMG/PCC .

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    This isn't really that hard, mission is what should drive your choice.

Everyday protect in the USA that you can carry on your person easily and in most case concealed, easy choice pistol.

Weapon concealed in your vehicle or inside your home, easy choice rifle.

Weapon that you can carry in a small bag and bring into action very quickly and you need a large round count, easy choice SMG/PCC .
    Anddd....there it is.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Later this year myself and two associates when time allows are wanting to go out and test the 9mm Lehigh 65 gr +P, and also the same round in .357 sig. My two buddies came from a Tier 1 background in the USA, all of us have decades of having been there. So it will be interesting if these rounds at 2100fps out to 100 meters perform with rifle like performance.

If these rounds perform like a rifle, this would be a game changer. No they will not replace rifles in the field. But it might change things back to SMG for covert missions, rather than chasing the smaller rifle for these missions. I am not a fan of very short rifles, they have 2 downsides. Major blast and in the same space as 1 rifle mag takes up you can put 2 SMG mags. In my experience if a covert mission goes bad, you tend to use a lot of ammo.

Feedback Score
    I think that the PCC with good ammo is viable for home defense. But, considering that whatever weapon you use in a self defense situation is probably going to be confiscated, I would leave the can off. Plus, I would want the noise so the neighbors hear it for those times you may be alone. It gives another source of a 911 call to get the cops moving.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTemplars View Post
    I think that the PCC with good ammo is viable for home defense. But, considering that whatever weapon you use in a self defense situation is probably going to be confiscated, I would leave the can off. Plus, I would want the noise so the neighbors hear it for those times you may be alone. It gives another source of a 911 call to get the cops moving.
    You think it's better to suffer permanent hearing damage than to have a can temporarily in an evidence locker?

Well, OK, then.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    It could work, but there are things that could work better. I’ve considered it for my wife, because it could be lighter and shorter, but I’ve heard they still recoil about as much as an AR. My biggest consideration reviles around how quickly I (or she) could get rounds on target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My 9mm and .40 carbines kick more than my 5.56 guns. It’s not a huge difference but it’s noticeable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    I built a 9mm just for this. Colt SMG mags. It eats every single HP load I've ever tried in it but it particularly likes the unicorn +P+ Ranger T. The only malfunction I've ever had on it was from Rem 115 JHP bulk from Walmart. It just refuses to run that stuff. If you use Colt pattern mags get the Maglula. Those springs are no joke.
    I agree the mag loader is a must!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast