Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR 15 pistol questions

Feedback Score

AR 15 pistol questions

I am, for the first time, seriously considering swaping my 16" AR15 carbine for an 11.5" AR15 pistol, however I am still unsure of a couple of BATFE / NFA issues. I've tried finding definitive answers both here and on-line, but I'm still confused. I have read the initial "redesign" letter of 2012, and the revised clarification latter of 2017 (I believe this is the date), but if a letter can change the law, that doesn't give me much confidence in future clarification letters from future administrations.

While the future is always in flux, I want this project to be 200% legal today. Any doubt or gray area and I abort.

Specifically...

1) Can a person legally shoulder a brace-equipped AR15 pistol? Not incidental use, not accidental use, not once in a blue moon use, but whenever the mood strikes?

2) If yes to the above, are there specific braces that would allow this, and are there specific braces that would not allow this?

3) If no to the above, how is it that so many are so sure it's all good to go?

4) Can I place a 16" upper (taken off a carbine) onto a pistol lower?

5) If #4 is a yes, can I have my 11.5" AR15 pistol upper that I have removed from the pistol lower in the same house as a carbine lower if they remain un-attached (I know I cannot mount the pistol upper on the carbine lower without first obtaining all the NFA SBR paperwork).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    1) Can a person legally shoulder a brace-equipped AR15 pistol? Not incidental use, not accidental use, not once in a blue moon use, but whenever the mood strikes? For now the answer: Yes, but you need to pay attention still to OAL of said pistol. But as BATFE has done before, this too can change at any time !

4) Can I place a 16" upper (taken off a carbine) onto a pistol lower? Yes. As for the 11.5" upper, since you have a pistol lower in the same house, it's a non-issue.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Am I the only mother****er who goes on the internet and doesn’t give a **** what’s legal and what isn’t when I am shooting a gun on my own land?

Just wondering.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Am I the only mother****er who goes on the internet and doesn’t give a **** what’s legal and what isn’t when I am shooting a gun on my own land?

Just wondering.
    You’re my favorite person on M4C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Just wondering.
    You are definitely outnumbered by the worriers.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 08-14-18 at 05:41.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    You are definitely outnumbered by the worriers.
    A sad state of affairs to be certain which is unfortunate.

The Fed is not some omnipotent all knowing entity looking at crystal ball

Feedback Score
    If you read the law you will see the word intent mentioned .If you build a pistol to use and don't intend to use it as a rifle and occasionally or accidentally let it go back to your shoulder it's ok but if you build to use as a SBR and post the intention on a public forum you are setting yourself up for a " he intended " case and given the Feds ammo to use to change the ruling . I personally INTEND to keep mine on my arm or use it on my cheek a inch or so from my shoulder and I am happy it is ok if it accidentally touches my shoulder .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Disregard my previous post

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I’m so glad no one on this forum does 66 in a 65.

Feedback Score
    I am sorry if my desire to stay legal offend the sensibilities of some here. There are many laws with which I disagree, but I still try and follow them. If I purchase an AR pistol, it would be for home use (on my land), but also for public range use, car travel and formal training.

I do not want an SBR under today's regulations as I frequently travel by car into other states, and that's a headache I don't want. Too many ways to get tripped up.

Taking my carbine with me in my car requires it be unloaded. If I needed it, I realize it doesn't take long to pop in a magazine, and I have a discrete carry bag for transport into and out of my car, so an AR pistol is not really a necessity. It just makes things easier and a bit faster.

As for "intentional" vs "unintentional" or "incidental" shouldering, I don't intend to shoulder it. I don't intend to ever use it other than at the range in a training environment, but the day may come when I do need it for self defense, and then it may get used one handed with my arm out straight, it may get used as an impact weapon, it may get used with the brace wrapped around my forearm, or it may get used with the brace making contact with my shoulder. I won't know until after the fact.

How will the authorities find out how I used it? I would tell them.

I may end up needing my AR pistol at a place with cameras or witnesses. Even if there are no cameras or witnesses, I would not lie to the authorities. As Mas Ayoob taught us in LFI - never lie to the authorities. They will find out the truth. If you acted in good faith, you gain nothing by trying to cover anything up or embellishing. You are your own best witness. Credibility, once lost, is not easily recovered.

If a brace equipped AR pistol is OK to use in any way, provided the brace is an approved model and is not physically modified, then an AR pistol may be a sound and valid option for me.

If letting the brace contact my shoulder (intentionally, unintentionally, incidentally, or whatever) may cause me extra headache and potentially cause legal problems, than perhaps an AR pistol is not what I want.

That's why I'm here. I'm seeking information to help me make an informed decision.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast