G&R Tactical
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 9mm Subgun Viable for Home Defense?

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have any data on the terminal performance and risk of overpenetration when using Federal HST or Winchester PDX rounds out of a 16”, 9 mm Colt AR? My suspicion is that the ballistics have improved compared to data 10-15 years ago.

I rather not use a NFA SBR in 5.56 NATO with a suppressor for home defense unless I had to for obvious reasons. A 9 mm or 45 ACP PCC with a 16” barrel with the right loads may be a good alternative that will get the job done.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    Does anyone have any data on the terminal performance and risk of overpenetration when using Federal HST or Winchester PDX rounds out of a 16”, 9 mm Colt AR? My suspicion is that the ballistics have improved compared to data 10-15 years ago.

I rather not use a NFA SBR in 5.56 NATO with a suppressor for home defense unless I had to for obvious reasons. A 9 mm or 45 ACP PCC with a 16” barrel with the right loads may be a good alternative that will get the job done.
    What are those obvious reasons? I'm not clear. Per the thread, that seems exactly the set up most recommend, which not to say a sub gun is not a viable option.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    What are those obvious reasons? I'm not clear. Per the thread, that seems exactly the set up most recommend, which not to say a sub gun is not a viable option.
    I have no desire to lose a NFA item (SBR) in a police investigation, let alone have that used against you in a civil lawsuit. I guess I’m being paranoid, as ideally, a suppressed SBR is the best home defense weapon you could have (300 blk out or 5.56 NATO). Losing a $2-3k item costs less than losing your life of course.

Regardless, I would still like to see terminal performance data from a Colt AR9 in 16” with Federal HST or the like. If I get time, maybe I can try setting up my own test, but work and family prevents me from shooting much at all right now.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456