Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Subgun Viable for Home Defense?

Feedback Score
    Pistols are easy to maneuver.
    Short Rifles have better terminal ballistics, and offer better performance(faster, more accurate followups).
    A PCC is in the middle. Rifle handling and shooting attribules with pistol terminal performance.
    I think most people go rifle cartridge since youre already commited to the size, why not-outside of niche scenarios.

To sum it up: rifle>PCC>pistol. So yes, PCC is viable.
    Assuming no armor and full auto, the subgun might have an edge- but thats going out if my lane a bit. MP5 vs G36c both can be held on target FA but not enough experience to say which recoils less.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In the right hands a 9mm sub-gun is a very effective weapon at CQB distances. In open terrain, outside of a structure, where a shot has to be made at more than 80 meters, a rifle caliber would be a better option.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    A long time ago we left full auto behind for anti terror work. We found much better hits and only a little slower when using semi auto.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Interesting...the more you know...
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Chapter one has already provided a substantial amount of education on the topic.

Thanks, sir. A plethora of information here. I believe I have found articles on here from google, but never fully perused. That sure will change.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingkong251 View Post
    I believe a 9mm round is adequate for that senario, yes. My point was just that, people seem to disregard a PCC for anything other than a range gun. I just wanted to see what the general consensus on this forum was. I never understood why many view as such. Cops shoot and kill suspects all the time with 9mm handguns so why would the PCC not be good enough?
    .22 LR has killed plenty of folks, too... doesn't mean it's a great choice for self-defense. LEOs use pistols because of the convenience factor, and that it's a good enough trade-off between portability and capability. In a home defense situation, portability isn't an issue, so I don't want merely "adequate", I want to stack the deck in my advantage as best I can. Besides, what up side does a PCC have over a standard rifle caliber long gun? The only thing I can think of is hearing protection, which is rendered mostly moot if you have a can. Size is pretty meh, it's really a training matter for the most part, and depending on your needs, may not even be relevant (e.g., no kids, so you can just hunker down in your bedroom).

The PCCs/SMGs have become viewed as toys because, as MegademiC noted, there isn't too much of a size differential between them and a rifle caliber long gun, yet the capabilities of the rifle rounds far exceed that of a pistol caliber round. Thus, outside of super-niche roles where very inch matters due to concealability concerns, there is no reason to utilize a PCC/SMG for duty/self-defense.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-29-18 at 23:06.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    A can isn't always available depending on the state you live in and some just don't want to be placed on a list to obtain one if they can get one. It also adds considerable length to a platform that'll hinder mobility in tight spaces unless you SBR it which some can't or won't for the same reasons listed above that pertain to the can itself.

On top of that if you use subsonic ammo it behaves the same as a pistol round because the velocity is down to the point where it no longer acts like a rifle where stretch cavities become permanent as seen with projectiles that go over 2000 fps. It'll just go through and through with the the wound the same size as the projectile itself whether it expands or not.

And if one uses an AR pistol in a rifle caliber with supersonic ammo to bypass those SBR regulations or government lists, the flash and concussion is even greater compared to a pistol calibered carbine of the same length due to the unburned powder. .

In a 9mm for example the velocity from a PCC with a 10 to 16 inch barrel at 100 yards is the same velocity as such from a 3 to 4 inch barrelled pistol at point blank range from the muzzle. It'll shoot you just as dead and just as accurate within a few MOA from 0 to 100 yards without all the negatives. Within self defense distances it's very deadly if aimed center mass where vitals are. It serves the purpose while taming the negatives of a rifle caliber in enclosed spaces without the use of personnel protective equipment.

A PCC is nothing to sneeze and serves a purpose. It also gives you the ability to share the same ammo and magazines as your pistol or your patrner's pistol.
    Last edited by wtm75; 05-30-18 at 09:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wtm75 View Post
    A can isn't always available depending on the state you live in and some just don't want to be placed on a list to obtain one if they can get one. It also adds considerable length to a platform that'll hinder mobility in tight spaces unless you SBR it which some can't or won't for the same reasons listed above that pertain to the can itself.

On top of that if you use subsonic ammo it behaves the same as a pistol round because the velocity is down to the point where it no longer acts like a rifle where stretch cavities become permanent as seen with projectiles that go over 2000 fps. It'll just go through and through with the the wound the same size as the projectile itself whether it expands or not.

And if one uses an AR pistol in a rifle caliber with supersonic ammo to bypass those SBR regulations or government lists, the flash and concussion is even greater compared to a pistol calibered carbine of the same length due to the unburned powder. .

In a 9mm for example the velocity from a PCC with a 10 to 16 inch barrel at 100 yards is the same velocity as such from a 3 to 4 inch barrelled pistol at point blank range from the muzzle. It'll shoot you just as dead and just as accurate within a few MOA from 0 to 100 yards without all the negatives. Within self defense distances it's very deadly if aimed center mass where vitals are. It serves the purpose while taming the negatives of a rifle caliber in enclosed spaces without the use of personnel protective equipment.

A PCC is nothing to sneeze and serves a purpose. It also gives you the ability to share the same ammo and magazines as your pistol or your patrner's pistol.
    ... and to add even more to the mix, a 300blk subsonic, with the right loads should offer terminal ballistics, flash and handling somewhere between a PCC and sbr, based on gel tests ive seen.

Feedback Score
    A rifle bullet that is no longer moving at over 2000 fps is no longer a rifle bullet.

https://homedefensegun.net/300-blackout/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wtm75 View Post
    A rifle bullet that is no longer moving at over 2000 fps is no longer a rifle bullet.

https://homedefensegun.net/300-blackout/
    2000fps is the “range” the transition occurs at, larger frontal area can move it (shotgun slugs cause tc and are not moving 2000fps). But thats only extreme cases and not really applicable, and i agree with your statement in general.

The main difference with 300blk and specific load (i think its lehigh defense, most others perform more like pistol rounds) is the expansion, they open up very wide more like a broadhead and offer significantly better terminal performance than 9mm but not as good as a rifle(or supersonic 300blk)...and you are guving up armor penetration as the article points out.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-30-18 at 14:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    2000fps is the “range” the transition occurs at, larger frontal area can move it (shotgun slugs cause tc and are not moving 2000fps). But thats only extreme cases and not really applicable, and i agree with your statement in general.

The main difference with 300blk and specific load (i think its lehigh defense, most others perform more like pistol rounds) is the expansion, they open up very wide more like a broadhead and offer significantly better terminal performance than 9mm but not as good as a rifle(or supersonic 300blk)...and you are guving up armor penetration as the article points out.
    Those Lehigh bullets are the bee's knees. No question. But most others don't perform that way and barely expand while pinholing through. I guess if you stuck to those you'd be golden.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast