Thread: WC844 worth stocking up?

Feedback Score

WC844 worth stocking up?

Found a source local to me that's selling WC844 for a good price. I've done quite a bit of research on this powder and remember when it was plentiful and cheap back in the late 90's early 2000's. I'm thinking about purchasing 50 lbs of this stuff as a hedge against ever increasing powder prices. Honestly in addition to what I have now, 50 lbs will be a lifetime supply for my reloading needs. Is it consistent enough for practice 223 55gr loads? Using H335 data it looks like I can also use it for 6.5 grendel as well. Is anyone else still using 844?
    Last edited by andre3k; 05-29-18 at 14:26.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I used a bunch of it back when I could find it on the cheap. It's a perfectly good powder, basically equivalent to H335 ( use that data). Store away.

How much was 50 lbs.?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I used a bunch of it back when I could find it on the cheap. It's a perfectly good powder, basically equivalent to H335 ( use that data). Store away.

How much was 50 lbs.?
    $10.00/lb if you buy at least 32

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Great for blasting ammo. Good price too. I'd snatch it up.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    $10.00/lb if you buy at least 32

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Buy it... I would
    nothing beats when it was around $56 for 8# same with 846 or the old 8208 which was cheaper

-Rock

Feedback Score
    I've bought several lots of WC844 over the last many years. I've bought lots of it that said "Virgin-Never loaded" and pull-down powder. Most lots have been close to the same burn rate , a couple lots have been much slower than normal, and one lot was much faster than the others. You HAVE to work up loads every time you switch lots of surplus powder. It used to be a bargain but now since surplus powders are scarce the price has increased so to me it's not worth the effort for saving $30 per 8 lbs. of powder. I'd recommend H335 instead unless the WC844 is all you can find. Like mentioned it could be a new powder never loaded or it could be several years old and dumped from pulled down ammunition.