Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pencil barrels

Feedback Score

Pencil barrels

Planning on building a true 16” with pinned/welded muzzle devise. Looking for thoughts ideas on barrels.
    Right now leaning toward Faxon 14.5” pencil with pinned/welded brake.
    Any thoughts ideas would be great. Thanks

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I bought a 16 inch pencil. Skinniest barrel I have ever seen. It shot horrible for the first couple hundred rounds but now it shoots 1.0-1.5 MOA after a heavy break in period. Be prepared to spend a few bucks breaking it in.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I bought a 16 inch pencil. Skinniest barrel I have ever seen. It shot horrible for the first couple hundred rounds but now it shoots 1.0-1.5 MOA after a heavy break in period. Be prepared to spend a few bucks breaking it in.

PB
    I would be shocked if that break in period had anything to do with the thickness of the barrel walls.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    I think Faxon is an excellent choice. They offer a 14.5" barrel with either three prong or break, factory installed.

As a matter of fact, this is going to be my next barrel for my WWSD type built.

I have a Faxon Firearms 10.5" pencil barrel on my SBR built and it is easily a 1.5 MOA barrel. With Hornady America Gunner 55gr. HP bullet, it has turned in a few under that. This barrel has also turned in groups under 2" with Lake City M193.

Besides Faxon Firearms making an accurate barrel, their pencil weight is one of, if not the thinnest/lightest barrels out there. So, in my opinion it's the best of both worlds. Light and accurate.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    after a heavy break in period. Be prepared to spend a few bucks breaking it in.
    Was that a Faxon, or a nitrided barrel? Was the 'heavy' break-in just more rounds down the barrel, or was it also additional cleaning?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    my preference for the last 40 years has been pencils. and faxon pencils are fine.

Feedback Score
    No knock against Faxon. Have a BCM pencil barrel in 16". Great barrel. 1.5 moa. Chrome lined cut rifle average barrel but shoots well for what t is.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-n-Ky View Post
    I think Faxon is an excellent choice. They offer a 14.5" barrel with either three prong or break, factory installed.
    It should be noted these factory installed pinned/welded muzzle devices are low profile and will allow installation and removal of a .625" gas block without removal of the MD. This will be the barrel I use for my next LW build.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The Bravo Company 14.5” ELW fluted barrel was my choice. It’s a great shooter, no break in needed.
    The BCM barrel is 20 ounces, chrome bore
    The Faxon barrel is 17.5 ounces, nitride bore

Both use a .625” gas block, the BCM barrel is about $80 more.
    Last edited by hk_shootr; 07-05-18 at 06:35.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the ideas and advice. Gotta do some more looking now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast