Thread: Mystery Projectile ID

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Mystery Projectile ID

This one has me stumped, guys.

Was sorting/cleaning/culling a bag of MK-318 pulls that I hadn't had a chance to get around to since buying them five years ago, and was a bit surprised to find three projectiles that were definitely NOT MK-318 Mod 0 pulls. I at first thought they were either Barnes 70gr TSX or Hornady GMX 70, but quickly ruled both out. Barnes coppers have three cuts in the shank, while these have two. So I figured GMX, since they had the same look/feel as the GMX 70gr (two rather shallow relief bands/cuts in the shank, more "gilding metal" feel).

But throwing them on a digital caliper nixed that as well, since these average at around .950" length (.945, .947, .955"), and the 70gr Hornady is 1.050" nominal length.

Due to act of Dog, my digital scale is down hard, so I was not able to weigh these, but based on the posted length of the Hornady 55gr GMX (around .850") and the fact that these have a substantial boat tail, I am estimating they are right around 62gr. It would explain why they got mixed in with the MK-318 if an automated counter was being used.

(And no, these are not MK-318 Mod 0 bullets that are out of spec. MK-318 Mod 0 pills are .865" nominal length).

Have included a picture of the three pills next to a MK-318. Hoping the hive mind has some sort of idea, this is driving me crazy. My wild guess is MK-318 Mod 1 (the "Silver Bullet")?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEED GOOD INFO ON BODY ARMOR? Follow me at: http://www.drmorgear.com

Feedback Score
    MK 318 Mod 1 projectiles without the nickel plating?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by twm134 View Post
    MK 318 Mod 1 projectiles without the nickel plating?
    That was my guess as well, but having never handled a Mod 1 projo before, would need someone that has to take some dimensions. I can also send one to someone like Molon and have them weigh in. They look like great bullets, and if they are commercially available, would like to play with some (still surprised that Hornady does not offer a 62gr GMX, since they offer a 50gr AND a 55gr, but nothing else until 70gr).

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Confirmed, these are MK-318 Mod 1. There's almost no information on this round out there. Would like to see some testing of the projectiles, can send to Molon if he's interested.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. My understanding is the Marine Corp will be transitioning to M855A1 along with the army and is therefore phasing this out, therefore there may not be too many of these left.