Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need advice / steel mags

Feedback Score
    I use E-Landers, the only steel bodied mag available in 20 rounders. They run fine in both my 5.56 carbine & pistol as well as my .300bo carbine & pistol. Usually not hard to find for $10-$12.

CDNN also has ‘extreme duty’ AR mags, supposedly leftovers from an asian military contract, for $9. I’ve never used them but I’ve seen two separate threads claiming they’re good. Green followers, steel bodies.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    A 3 mag pouch loaded with Steel mags is noticeably heavier.
    Without a doubt. I notice it in the hand and on the rifle for sure.

I'm not a "high speed" type. But if I was loading a cummerbund, I would be reaching for Aluminum or Polymer.

Ounces to Pounds. It really does make a difference. Not that I am an expert. But I do okay arithmetic.

Feedback Score
    Mags are disposable items. Use them, let them drop, let them damage, replace when needed. Given those circumstances, pmags are perfect. They handle the abuse a little better while saving you a little weight. And for what it matters, they don't make a cringing sound like you broke something when you let them drop free and hit concrete. However, if you really do want metal mags then Okay are what would be realistically recommend.
    Last edited by fourcorners; 05-31-18 at 06:07.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    I bought like 200 aluminum USGI mags a few years ago, most of them have green followers, some black. All of the mags have patina on them, Teflon has wore off completely, surface rust and some are dented. I paid $1 each for them at fort hood. Never the less, every single one of them works like a champ. I have never had a single problem with a single one. And I have testes each and every single one. They are dated 91-2003. Manufactures include, Okay, Sanchez, Colt, Crane, Labelle, D&H, NHMTG and a few others than are not marked at all.

I have maybe 50 Pmags, I don't know what generation they are, I got them between 2011 and 2014, they all have grey followers. I have never had a problem with any of them either.

I would stay away from steel, If you absolutely need to form an opinion on your own, PM me and I will send you a steel magazine. IMO, aluminum is the best all around, Pmags are great just as any other manufacture these days but I have personally had to repair an aluminum mag out in the country with my multi tool. I don't know if you can do that with polymer.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fourcorners View Post
    Mags are disposable items. Use them, let them drop, let them damage, replace when needed. Given those circumstances, pmags are perfect. They handle the abuse a little better while saving you a little weight. And for what it matters, they don't make a cringing sound like you broke something when you let them drop free and hit concrete. However, if you really do want steel mags then Okay are what would be realistically recommend.
    Are you saying that Okay magazines are steel?

Feedback Score
    Okay/NHMTG/Colt = aluminum.

For steel mags go Beretta.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If you're talking true steel mags, why waste your time? If someone gave them to me I'd either give them away or trade them. I use almost all D and H and USGI. I have about 2 dozen P Mags but they're safe queens. I've used them and they worked great but I just prefer aluminum.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    Are you saying that Okay magazines are steel?
    Was meaning to say metal, but had steel on the mind from the subject title. Fixed it. Thanks for catching that.
    Last edited by fourcorners; 05-31-18 at 06:53.

Feedback Score
    The Beretta steel mags have gotten favorable reviews despite their weight. They're stamped with an NSN and are evidently Italian military mags.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I find steel mags are tempting due to the potential durability increase over aluminum, but I find they're too heavy so I just stick with aluminum. Okay Surefeeds are my go to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast