Hi everyone!

So I recently bought 2,000 Lake City once-fired brass from Brass Bombers. The brass comes cleaned, decapped, and the primer pockets have been swaged. All the reloader needs to do is size, trim, and load.

Well, I thought I’d make short work of it all by sizing on my XL650. I used an RCBS Short Base FL sizing die from their AR die set. The sized cases were all within the goldilocks zone of the Lyman case gauge (which I realize is only a qualitative measurement), so I thought everything was peachy. Problems arose, however, when my dad attempted to trim this brass using the Little Crow WFT. Of the first 6 cases (5 LC12 & 1 LC08) case lengths range from 1.752" to 1.758".

I’m confident that he knows how to use the WFT; he’s used it to trim thousands of cases to +/- .002” before, but those were of the same headstamp (LC16) and were all sized on a single stage press.

I’m not sure what is causing the inconsistency, so I thought you guys & gals could point me in the right direction. Is it an inherent inconsistency in the XL650? The shellplate is about as tight as it can be without getting resistance from the bolt. The die was screwed in and secured tightly with a Hornady lock ring. Cases were lubed with DCL.

I really don’t want to trim 2k brass on a Forster hand trimmer guys...