Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk262 - 18” vs 20”

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Mk262 - 18” vs 20”

It seemed like the Mk262 was designed to be used with the SPR.

Is there benefit gained from a 20” barrel with this ammunition, or was the round designed to reach peak velocity potential with the 18” barrel?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    It seemed like the Mk262 was designed to be used with the SPR.

Is there benefit gained from a 20” barrel with this ammunition, or was the round designed to reach peak velocity potential with the 18” barrel?
    There will be a velocity increase when going from 18 to 20" with every .223/5.56 round I can think of. If we had an 18" barrel, I'd chrono the difference this weekend.
    Last edited by markm; 06-02-18 at 12:53.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    The difference in MV between a 18" and 20" barrel is pretty subtle. Typically in the 10-50 fps range if I remeber right. The Mk12 SPR is a 18" variant, and is used regularly for engagements in the 400-600 yard range, if that helps ya any. The only reason I'd own a 20" is because I'm kind of fond of the M16A2/A4. If I were building my own AR for any other reason though, I'd go with the 18".

Feedback Score
    I chrono’ed the difference between 16”, 18”, and 20” barrels with MK262. 16”-18” gained 20 FPS. 18” to 20” gained 15 FPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    With those very slight velocity increases, is that due to the powder mostly burning sooner?

The reason I ask is sourcing for a SPR-ish rifle. I use Mk262 in my 12.5”, and I plan to use the same for this rifle. I have my “fun guns” zeroed with cheaper stuff. So, an extra two inches wouldn’t bother me (that’s...), but if it isn’t going to have a benefit, I’d go 18”.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have an 18" setup and the 20fps doesnt do much.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatorangecat View Post
    I have an 18" setup and the 20fps doesnt do much.
    Hell, for that matter (according to the info redpillregret posted) the ~ 35fps total from a 16" to a 20" is rather negligible too. A well-balanced 16" barrel should be just about as good, "well-balanced" NOT meaning an A2 profile!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Hell, for that matter (according to the info redpillregret posted) the ~ 35fps total from a 16" to a 20" is rather negligible too. A well-balanced 16" barrel should be just about as good, "well-balanced" NOT meaning an A2 profile!
    It made me give up my 18”. All barrels have variance but that was my results with two BCM SS barrels and a Colt 20”. I’ve heard of as much as a 50fps jump from 18”-20”...still not worth it for me. I’ll stick with 16”.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There is a big difference between 18" and 20" barrels that is not widely known. Yes, you will get a little improvement in velocity from 18" to 20," but more importantly, the pressure and dwell time on a 5.56 NATO round is tuned for various pressures, gas port sizes and locations, and distances (most importantly) from gas port to muzzle.

20" with a rifle length gas port is optimal. Works well for many, many years. The 18" presents a pressure imbalance that results in premature gas port erosion (read: increase the gas port size and gas flow over time). We are talking about after a few thousand rounds, so it may or may not affect everyone, but this is well documented.

For the Navy's SPR, which become the Mk12 sniper rifle in 5.56mm had/has a 18" Douglas SS barrel. For some reason, the Douglas barrel has performed much better than other blanks in 18." Better than some other more well thought of top-notch barrel blank makers. It must be in the steel that Douglas uses.

Thus, for weapons designers that we work with, and customers, I recommend a 20" barrel over 18," all other things being equal. For those who want an 18" barrel, I recommend using a Douglas blank, unless your overall shooting will be of relatively smaller numbers, as the erosion will not take place right away. It is a high-volume shooting issue. And, keep in-mind, that a barrel is a normal wear item, like brake pads and rotors on a car, so you can always just replace the barrel when wear starts to show.
    John
    aka LONGSHOT2000

Disclosure:
    Part-Owner of Charlies Custom Clones
    Avid firearms enthusiast and 2A Constitutionalist
    and agitator of the left and the FAKE NEWS
    Scope Slut and Barrel Nerd

Instagram
    twitter
    youtube
    facebook

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot2000 View Post
    There is a big difference between 18" and 20" barrels that is not widely known. Yes, you will get a little improvement in velocity from 18" to 20," but more importantly, the pressure and dwell time on a 5.56 NATO round is tuned for various pressures, gas port sizes and locations, and distances (most importantly) from gas port to muzzle.

20" with a rifle length gas port is optimal. Works well for many, many years. The 18" presents a pressure imbalance that results in premature gas port erosion (read: increase the gas port size and gas flow over time). We are talking about after a few thousand rounds, so it may or may not affect everyone, but this is well documented.

For the Navy's SPR, which become the Mk12 sniper rifle in 5.56mm had/has a 18" Douglas SS barrel. For some reason, the Douglas barrel has performed much better than other blanks in 18." Better than some other more well thought of top-notch barrel blank makers. It must be in the steel that Douglas uses.

Thus, for weapons designers that we work with, and customers, I recommend a 20" barrel over 18," all other things being equal. For those who want an 18" barrel, I recommend using a Douglas blank, unless your overall shooting will be of relatively smaller numbers, as the erosion will not take place right away. It is a high-volume shooting issue. And, keep in-mind, that a barrel is a normal wear item, like brake pads and rotors on a car, so you can always just replace the barrel when wear starts to show.

I don’t believe Douglas uses any formula for steel different than other manufacturers. Wasn’t the MK262 round designed for the MK12 specifically?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast