Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I do with this thing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What should I do with this thing?

This is currently how I have my midlength set up.

In this configuration the gun averages about 2" at 100 yards with IMI 77gr, with some of my groups getting down into the 1" to 1.25" range. Overall, based on my experiences with the Steiner P4xi it currently has on it and the Primary Arms 2.5x that I used for about 6months before getting the Steiner, it seems to be a pretty accurate barrel considering it's not a free floated gun.

However I'm starting to feel like having a decent LPVO on an AR with a non-free floated barrel and a fixed FSB is a bit hokey, and possibly a bit of a waste. I'm wondering how much more accuracy I could wring out of this gun if I went with a free floated handguard.
    What I've been considering doing is cutting down the FSB and getting a free floated M-Lok handguard that can use a standard barrel nut.
    However I'm wondering if this is something I can do without actually removing the FSB. I can install and remove barrels myself but I don't *quite* have the confidence to go messing around with the FSB pins and so forth, especially when a proper gas seal is so critical to correct function and the gun has been as reliable as it has.

My other option is to just change the barrel out entirely. I already have an 18" FN barrel that would be a good candidate. However this would also require having a gas block put on. Although I wouldn't be limited to handguard options using a standard barrel nut.
    However it seems almost kinda wasteful to ditch the barrel the gun currently has, as it has a lot of life left in it.

Third option is to chalk this dilemma up to "first world problems" and just keep it as is, and change the barrel when the current one gets shot out, whenever that ends up being.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So, I am qualified to answer this because I stayed in a holiday inn express in 2015. Spit balling here. if you got the occasional 1"-1.25" group. That's probably what you'll get on a good day when you float it, and there's nothing wrong with that. Dremel the FSP and hit it with some rattle can black. Pick a rail and go shoot.

Or.... throw an aimpoint pro on that one as a random rifle and build something specific. It's a pretty good time to do builds.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Keep it as is. Buy a 6720 upper and build up a light weight collapsible stock lower. You have one rifle with magnified optic that produces well on the range. Build a second with a quicker red dot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As stated, you're likely doing as well as you're gonna do as it sits now. Of course reps after reps after reps (improving your technique) might improve you a bit if you have very consistent ammunition. My most consistently accurate, longer distances one is not floated or modified in any manner less using a different trigger/hammer assembly. If the fsb bugs you, it can be cut down without removal. If you desire to install a low profile gas block, it's actually very easy to align the ports and get a good seal. Folks will help you get through it if you freak out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    First off, that is a nice looking rifle.

I'm in the build another upper/rifle camp. I'd put the red dot or a fixed rear sight on that one and the scope on the new rifle.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I also wouldn't make any changes to this rifle besides possibly cutting down the FSB.

Another complete upper with a free float rail for the Steiner is the route I'd take.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'd put a 9" MCMR on it and a VLTOR A5 kit.

Then I'd build a 20"er for a bigger scope, and a lightweight 14.5" pinned for your new Aimpoint T2 or M5.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This gun actually had a DD rear sight and an Aimpoint PRO on it for a while before I stuck the Primary Arms 2.5x on it just to see what it was like. I honestly came away pretty impressed with the Primary Arms, considering what it is. It was actually more the lack of 1x at close range rather than being limited to 2.5x magnification that ultimately made me decide to dump the PA and go with a quality LPVO.

I do have *most* of the spare parts available to assemble an upper around that 18" FN barrel. Perhaps the Steiner would indeed be better served on something like that. I am kind if interested in trying a light bipod out and That's going to work a lot better with a free float handguard.

I'm already covered in the shorter, lighter, close range category.

Although I do still like fixed stocks.

I have a couple Retros I shoot fairly often as well to remain proficient on "irons only".
    Last edited by Circle_10; 06-02-18 at 19:52.

Feedback Score
    It's not hard to beat out the taper pins or to install a low profile gas block. You just need to spend the money on the right tools.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a friend that puts either a a2 or whatever a1 thing he uses (not familiar not judging) on every rifle he has. He just prefers it. Whatever works for you. If the LOP is good then who cares. Throw a CMR, Mega, Bravo, whatever on there... Or keep the standard nut and do a Centurion quad rail for a bit of nostalgia with that mid range optic, cant say its not solid, since you have a pro and will build around the LPVO. Kinda making me think an a1 stock now (im short)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast