Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What should I do with this thing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    First off, that is a nice looking rifle.

I'm in the build another upper/rifle camp. I'd put the red dot or a fixed rear sight on that one and the scope on the new rifle.
    Have to agree.
    Lowers are cheap, life is short...
    nothing screams napoleonic warfare more than cannons roaring in the background

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Are you looking to build a precision/DMR rifle? If so just follow everybody else's advice and build another upper. Personally I would install a Larue mid length hand guard, and a carbine buffer tube/buttstock, then swap the red dot back on it.

Feedback Score
    Who makes your sling?

Feedback Score
    Buy a new upper. If cost makes this not an option, throw a FF on there. You can shave the fsb while its installed.

Is this your only ar? If so, you should by a light first.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    . Are you looking to build a precision/DMR rifle? If so just follow everybody else's advice and build another upper.
    Not really looking to build a precision rig per se, just a gun with somewhat longer range capability than my iron-sighted and red dot equipped ARs, which I suppose it already is as currently configured. I was mostly wondering which course of action made the most sense if I wanted to try and get a bit more out of it.

Who makes your sling?
    If I remember correctly they are Spec Ops patrol slings, the midlength has the padded model.

Is this your only ar? If so, you should by a light first.
    No I have a few others, a couple iron sighted Retros I built, an LE trade-in Colt 6520, and the rattle-canned carbine I posted on the previous page. The latter gun has a Surefire G2X in a BCM mount on it. I may put a light on the midlength at some point but wasn't in a hurry because it's more of an "outdoors" AR in my mind, with the G2X-equipped gun being my main "defensive" AR.

Building a whole new upper to use with the Steiner is feasible, not right at the moment but in the not too distant future anyway, as I already have most of the parts required.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 06-03-18 at 00:07.

Feedback Score
    Option 1: Midlength DD Omega rail,a light, add a mil spec carbine buffer tube and preferred carbine stock, keep the scope and shoot it through a few classes and cases of ammo.

Option 2: Add a mil spec carbine buffer tube and your preferred carbine stock, a light, switch out the scope for a Aimpoint and shoot it through a few classes and cases of ammo.

Either way, if you want a PR gun, build it from the ground up because the lowers are as stated before cheap.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I really like the look of that rifle.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to just pull the barrel, remove the handguard cap, and cut down the FSB without removing it then adding a Troy rail after reinstalling the barrel.

Feedback Score
    I say keep the FSP rather than cut it down. You already have it, and it is the toughest front sight you can get. It also can be handy as a point shooting reference.

If you can find a DD Omega, it will free float with no further action required. If you want to do a more "complete" job, which would mean removing the delta ring assembly and handguard cap (but still keep the FSP), then i say Centurion C4.

This is my 20" with DD Omega. You'll notice I still have the delta ring and handguard cap.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Im leaning toward leaving the upper on this gun alone at the moment and perhaps just building up another one with the FN barrel and a free float handguard, and maybe eventually transferring the Steiner over to that.
    Going the Omega route isn't a bad idea, except I don't care for quad rail handguards. I'm kinda surprised there's nothing like the Omega but with M-Lok or Keymod instead, or are fixed FSBs just that passé now that the market isn't really bothering to put much effort into developing new products that are compatible with them now?
    Last edited by Circle_10; 06-03-18 at 11:01.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Lots of good advice here. I'd go with the new upper idea. The upper you currently have could be sold to help fund the new upper. You might be able to wring out more accuracy with mods but it might be better to start off fresh with a better barrel, match chamber and FF handguard. Rainier has some great deals on barrels that have good potential for accuracy.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast