Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need advice / steel mags

Feedback Score

need advice / steel mags

I have a decent quality M4 that I maintain well, and it has never been fussy about mags. I shoot 55 grain fmj in 30 round mags. I have not purchased mags in MANY years. My old ones are Fusil, the Brownells military ones, and Pmags.

I have done much reading about the current state of affairs in mags. I have decided to order some generation 3 Pmags, some Lancer AWMs, and some of the Brownells with the Magpul follower. If anyone feels I need some advice on these selections, please have at it.

When it comes to steel, I REALLY need some advice. I went to find and order new Fusils and quickly learned that was a no-go. I then started looking for other steel mags and started reading as much as I could about current-production steel mags. Truth is, after all the reading, I didn't come away with any clear choices. I saw the HK models (about 50 bucks or so), and just did not see the value. I also saw the FN models, but I was not able to find any material on folks who had used the heck out of 'em. And then I found some other brands that I read a little good-n-bad about.

If there is anyone here who finds a place for steel mags in their shooting activities, I would welcome your opinions and advice.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I run a lot of steel mags. The Okay industries are considered to be real mil spec mags used by the military. NHMT are also considered by many as good togo.

Brownells did good in some test and reviews years gone past. Gen 3 Pmags are very good.

Okay / NHMT !

Others maybe available to offer more insight I'm sure.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I run D&H (aluminum) and have never had an issue. Excellent alternative if needing metallic. They also make them for other manufacturers. Decent sale now:http://palmettostatearmory.com/d-h-5...zine-8416.html

Okay are good too. Make sure they include the anti-tilt follower. Both brands are gtg imo.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Don't waste your money on steel mags. They offer nothing over quality polymer or aluminum mags.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't know why you'd want steel mags. They're heavy and more prone to dent damage because of it. I have a few old Brit surplus steel 30s that have held up well for many years. I only own them because they were a ban era option.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Bought some Okays / Surefeeds they work flawlessly.

Have a bunch of D&H with the same results.

I would go aluminum though. The steels really are heavier.

YMMV.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-30-18 at 21:20.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    I would go aluminum though. The steels really are heavier.
    A 3 mag pouch loaded with Steel mags is noticeably heavier.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a few steel mags from Beretta. They are of the highest quality and have been flawless. Frequently go on sale. Get some when they are.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I have some of the heavy as crap HK mags. They are in my SHTF bag.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Beretta steel mags are pretty sturdy and you can beat someone with it...

I have a few, but have a primary mix of GI and polymer variants...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast