Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATF now stating they never reversed 2015 open letter

Feedback Score
    I really dont see what changed.
    If you put a brace on a pistol, to use as a brace, its legal, even if you shoulder it.
    If you put anything on a pistol with the purpose of being used as a stock, you make it an SBR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    That is how a lot of legal stuff works. The law is passed and the actual regulations are written by the pertinent executive branch office.
    Add to this that individual agents frequently put their own spin on the regulations (I'm talking about agents in all the alphabet gangs, not just the ATF). What they end up demanding often has little to do with what the law actually says. We've definitely become a regulation nation. The sad part is that most people are oblivious.

Feedback Score
    I knew this was coming. I pretty much read this as them reserving the right to call your pistol brace a stock if they decide they want to.

"A pistol brace makes your gun illegal when we say it does."

Why anyone would rely on anything ATF says as a license for greater freedom is beyond me.

Feedback Score
    So if I deliberately built an AR pistol for the sole purpose of it having buffer tube and I intended to use the naked buffer tube as a stock, it's an SBR?

What about if I built a pistol with a stock without using the stock and having no intention of using the stock on my shoulder but rather using it as a hip fire weapon?

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I really dont see what changed.
    If you put a brace on a pistol, to use as a brace, its legal, even if you shoulder it.
    If you put anything on a pistol with the purpose of being used as a stock, you make it an SBR.
    That’s my take on it. They basically said if you shoulder it you are not going to jail. But if you are intending to use it as a rifle, you are in violation.

All this other chatter and speculation is just ring around the rosy ad nauseam.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    My problem with all of this is that the ATF is deciding law.
    They are not deciding law, they are issuing their opinion on interpretation of law. If it gets before a court the court may consider the ATF’s opinion, but they won’t necessarily follow the ATF’s thinking.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    That’s my take on it. They basically said if you shoulder it you are not going to jail. But if you are intending to use it as a rifle, you are in violation.

All this other chatter and speculation is just ring around the rosy ad nauseam.
    Letter seems clear in stating that the 2015 letter wasn't reversed and still applies. 2015 letter pretty much makes it all about intent, which obviously can only be proved through circumstantial evidence. It's anyone's guess if shouldering one of those things right in front of an ATF agent is enough circumstantial evidence to get you for it, but i think that's why after that letter came out most people didn't want to mess with that shit and just ended up going with F1 SBRs.

Either way this is a far cry from the claims the brace makers like SB tactical and shockwave were making last year proclaiming atf had "reversed" their decision, what a load of bullshit that was. They have every reason to stretch the truth like that too to make sales, which is all money you could've instead spent on SBRs...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brenrulez10 View Post
    Letter seems clear in stating that the 2015 letter wasn't reversed and still applies. 2015 letter pretty much makes it all about intent, which obviously can only be proved through circumstantial evidence. It's anyone's guess if shouldering one of those things right in front of an ATF agent is enough circumstantial evidence to get you for it, but i think that's why after that letter came out most people didn't want to mess with that shit and just ended up going with F1 SBRs.

Either way this is a far cry from the claims the brace makers like SB tactical and shockwave were making last year proclaiming atf had "reversed" their decision, what a load of bullshit that was. They have every reason to stretch the truth like that too to make sales, which is all money you could've instead spent on SBRs...
    Crap like this is why I say arm braces will go away. I'm sure there are individuals who genuinely use them as intended, but let's face the facts that people are shouldering these weapons and always meant to do so. When brace makers almost blatantly sell them as "shoulder stocks" it doesn't take a stretch of imagination to realize these will end up on the chopping block like bump stocks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wtm75 View Post
    So if I deliberately built an AR pistol for the sole purpose of it having buffer tube and I intended to use the naked buffer tube as a stock, it's an SBR?

My take is yes

What about if I built a pistol with a stock without using the stock and having no intention of using the stock on my shoulder but rather using it as a hip fire weapon?
    It still has a stock.

Pistols dont have stocks, rifles do(or aow’s)
    If you put a widget on there thats used to shoulder fire the weapon, its a stock. Thats what the word stock means.

If you are not sure how to legally use an arm brace, you are better off not using one and/or building and registering a legal sbr.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    It still has a stock.

Pistols dont have stocks, rifles do(or aow’s)
    If you put a widget on there thats used to shoulder fire the weapon, its a stock. Thats what the word stock means.

If you are not sure how to legally use an arm brace, you are better off not using one and/or building and registering a legal sbr.
    Boy. You really have a hard time with sarcasm don't you. I shouldn't have to explain it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast