Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headspace checks

Feedback Score

Headspace checks

Hello,
    I have been having an issue with checking headspace on my Colt Trooper barrel (removed) and my new BA "Hanson" 16" barrel that I installed in the Colt. I bought a set of Clymer "Go/No Go" (223 Rem) gauges from Brownells and removed the bolt ejector to test. The Go and No-Go gauges fully seat on the Ballistic Advantage with the bolt installed in the Colt BCG. Since the Colt barrel is removed I can just use the bolt to check the fit. Both gauges go in an will turn, my understanding is that the No-Go should not turn?. Does this mean that both barrels are out of spec, or is the Colt bolt? Or is the 5.56 chambers the reason the gauges both fully seat, and/or turn? Sorry for having to ask such rookie questions but this is my first barrel change.
    Thanks,
    John

go_nogo.jpg
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    You need a set of 5.56 gauges or a military field gauge to check a 5.56 chamber.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    No wonder I have been chasing my ass, thanks for the reply. I will order the 5.56 Clymer set.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...76-191550.aspx
    Last edited by SiGfever; 06-03-18 at 17:09.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    Well it is amazing what happens when you get your ass out of your head and order the correct tools. The Clymer 5.56 Go/No Go set worked perfectly. SteveL, thanks for telling me what I needed without emphasizing just how much of a dumb ass I was.

Clymer556Go_NoGo.jpg
    - George Washington

Feedback Score
    I thought the only significant difference was in the leade? If I'm not mistaken, closing on a .223 no go makes it closer than we would like to closing on a 5.56 no go, especially if it's not a well used barrel and bolt.
    Last edited by M4C; 06-15-18 at 19:07.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGfever View Post
    Well it is amazing what happens when you get your ass out of your head and order the correct tools. The Clymer 5.56 Go/No Go set worked perfectly. SteveL, thanks for telling me what I needed without emphasizing just how much of a dumb ass I was.

Clymer556Go_NoGo.jpg
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by M4C View Post
    I thought the only significant difference was in the leade? If I'm not mistaken, closing on a .223 no go makes it closer than we would like to closing on a 5.56 no go, especially if it's not a well used barrel and bolt.
    http://www.ar15barrels.com/data/headspace.pdf
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Yes Steve, thanks for posting the link, I am familiar with it. It shows that the difference between the "civilian" gage and the "military" gage is 0.0036 inch. That's 36 ten-thousandths of an inch. As far as I'm concerned, that's closer than a new barrel ought to be to failing the latter. Would I shoot it? Heck yeah, I'd shoot it til it closed on a Field gage. In fact, a Field gage is all I usually bother with unless it's a precision build. But for a new barrel, less than the thickness of a human hair is pretty darn close. I'd at least want to try it with another bolt, just out of curiosity.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Can I threadjak here a little...?

For my first build, I didn’t know about headspacing. I’m working on a second one that is going to be more along the lines of precision.
    Admittedly, I’ve had trouble getting my head around the three 5.56mm gauges.

I think I get the “should close,” “shouldn’t close.” But then is the Field an “in trouble if is closes” measurement?

I should add to this: Does any one gauge give a measurement that would declare a barrel “safe,” or should two, or all three be used for every barrel and bolt?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Correct me if I’m wrong
    But if building using new good reputation parts
    And with correct barrel nut torque
    It’s 99.9999999% sure that headspace is correct

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    But then is the Field an “in trouble if is closes” measurement?
    Field closing is more of an indication that your chamber is getting worn and a warning that you may need to pay more frequent attention as to how often you check to ensure the "no go" guage doesn't close.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast