G&R Tactical
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headspace checks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thehammer69 View Post
    Field closing is more of an indication that your chamber is getting worn and a warning that you may need to pay more frequent attention as to how often you check to ensure the "no go" guage doesn't close.
    I believe you have the FIELD and NO-GO gauges mixed up.

The NO/GO gauges are generally slightly less than the maximum chamber depth so if it closes on the NO-GO gauge you may still have some margin of safety. The field gauge is used to determine if the rifle is still safe to fire after it closes on the NO/GO gauge. If the bolt closes on a FIELD gauge the rifle should not be used.

There is a line of thinking that once the rifle is assembled and the initial GO and NO-go checks are done the only gauge you need to use is the field gauge.
    "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

“You are responsible for your actions, but the world doesn’t turn around you, so it’s important that you find something bigger than yourself to work for, a way for you to make a difference.” - Drew Dix, MOH VN '68

Feedback Score
    So practically, you’d need all three gauges if you build and actually shoot your firearm(s).

At the same time, one would think that “the odds” favor not having to check.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm just curious why you would replace the colt barrel with a BA barrel? I've owned both and much prefer the colt..
    Did you turn it into an sbr or something?

(Sorry to side track)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    So practically, you’d need all three gauges if you build and actually shoot your firearm(s).

Yes, I suppose that is one way to look at it. Actually, just two, if you are going to be what I would call 'prudent' and fix the rifle when it closes on the no go.

At the same time, one would think that “the odds” favor not having to check.
    I believe that is also true, odds are things will be in spec if you are using new bolt and new barrel.

I keep 'build sheets' on the rifles I put together to confirm things were checked.
    "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

“You are responsible for your actions, but the world doesn’t turn around you, so it’s important that you find something bigger than yourself to work for, a way for you to make a difference.” - Drew Dix, MOH VN '68

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12