Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Respectfully, I decline to make your cake

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    God's Standard for Sexuality:
    Not a Baptist, but can you give us the Cliff notes. I don't really have the time to sit for 50 mins.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    National Geographic had an interesting article on the Roanoke colonies disappearance in the June issue.

It is online here: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/m...ries-croatoan/

When I read the article I was surprised to learn that... Throughout colonial North America, most of the English captured by Indians or who deserted refused to return, even if given the chance. Unlike Europeans, Native Americans in the colonial era typically welcomed men, women, and children of any origin into their ranks. Though some warrior-age men were killed and others enslaved, the vast majority were accepted as full members of the tribe.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting article.
    When I was a kid I was enamored with The Guinness Book of World Records and Ripley's Believe it or not. In one of my Ripley's books I read about a Native American the Pilgrims encountered that could speak perfect English. Tisquantum, better known as Squanto who wad been sold into slavery by an English explorer and taken to Spain. He escaped his fate and returned to find his entire village had been decimated by an epidemic. He was the last survivor of his people the Patuxet and was accepted into the Pokanoket tribe where he acted as a diplomat of sorts to the Pilgrims/English because their enemy had already allied with the French.

Far too many people have a simplistic view of early European / Native American relations. They were complex political alliances but due largely in part to the Thanksgiving folk tale, Hollywood, and elementary school teachers everywhere we have this cartoonish vision of that time. It wasn't a "whites vs. indian" thing as the indigenous peoples engaged in tribal warfare since the time that their ancestors crossed the Bering Land Bridge from Asia. No different than the English and French constant state of war during that time. It was advantageous to both the Europeans and the Native Americans to ally with one another for exchange of goods, technologies, etc.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Not a Baptist, but can you give us the Cliff notes. I don't really have the time to sit for 50 mins.

John 3:16

1 Corinthians 10:13

2 Timothy 1:7

2 Corinthians 5:17

Matthew 11:28
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." –Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyAndFight View Post
    John 3:16

1 Corinthians 10:13

2 Timothy 1:7

2 Corinthians 5:17

Matthew 11:28
    All good scriptures, and I believe every one of them, but I don't see how they specifically relate to the topic of Baptist views on sexually.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You asked for cliff notes. I supplied them. The 50 minute video is worth the time to view, in my opinion.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." –Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyAndFight View Post
    You asked for cliff notes. I supplied them. The 50 minute video is worth the time to view, in my opinion.
    Nevermind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    These are the Southern Baptist Convention's thoughts:

On “Same-Sex Marriage” And Civil Rights Rhetoric

New Orleans - 2012

WHEREAS, Marriage is a covenant relationship and an institution established by God rather than simply a human social construct (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:4–6; Ephesians 5:22–33); and

WHEREAS, Southern Baptists have consistently affirmed our support of the biblical definition of marriage as the exclusive union of one man and one woman; and

WHEREAS, The Scriptures indicate that all sexual behavior outside of marriage is sinful; and

WHEREAS, All people, regardless of race or sexual orientation, are created in the image of God and thus are due respect and love (Genesis 1:26–27); and

WHEREAS, The Department of Justice has argued (Perry v. Schwarzenegger) that the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional claiming that DOMA unfairly discriminates against homosexuals; and

WHEREAS, For the first time in history the President of the United States has publicly voiced his personal support of “same-sex marriage”; and

WHEREAS, While homosexuality does not present the distinguishing features of classes entitled to special protections, like the classes of race and gender, we acknowledge the unique struggles experienced by homosexuals in some parts of society; and

WHEREAS, It is regrettable that homosexual rights activists and those who are promoting the recognition of “same-sex marriage” have misappropriated the rhetoric of the Civil Rights Movement; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, That the messengers to the Southern Baptist Convention meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana, June 19–20, 2012, oppose any attempt to frame “same-sex marriage” as a civil rights issue; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we deny that the effort to legalize “same-sex marriage” qualifies as a civil rights issue since homosexuality does not qualify as a class meriting special protections, like race and gender; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we encourage Southern Baptists everywhere to fight for the civil rights of all people where such rights are consistent with the righteousness of God; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we express our love to those who struggle with same-sex attraction and who are engaged in the homosexual lifestyle; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we stand against any form of gay-bashing, whether disrespectful attitudes, hateful rhetoric, or hate-incited actions toward persons who engage in acts of homosexuality; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we affirm that pastors should preach the truth of God’s word on human sexuality, marriage, purity, and love with all boldness and without fear of reprisal; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we encourage our fellow Southern Baptists to consider how they and their churches might engage in compassionate, redemptive ministry to those who struggle with homosexuality; and be it finally

RESOLVED, That we proclaim that Christ offers forgiveness of sin for those who turn from their sins and believe on Christ for the forgiveness of sin.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for typing this up. For the most part it sounds very biblical. The only thing I might question is the "hateful rhetoric" part. I would need to know a bit more of what classifies as HR. The Lord and His disciples used pretty harsh words to describe some people on more than one occasion.

The SBC has been under attack on some of these points for some years now. I hope they hold the line.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for typing this up.
    It was a cut and paste from an article.

I would guess that to them hateful rhetoric would be getting personal in telling persons they have sinned. Or in other words 'I can't define hateful rhetoric, but I know it when I hear it.'
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819