Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping The Barrel Lubricated

Feedback Score
    I coat the end of a bore snake with Corrosion X for the final pass just to make sure.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Aren't Glock barrels melonited/tenifered?
    I'm not an expert on Glock finishes. I do know that my older Glock slides and barrels are Tenifer, and I believe that to be a different trade name for the melonite process.

My comment with regard to blued and melonited rifle barrels is more of an observation than an endorsement. Like I said, Balistol seems to work fine with my Glocks but I've never used it on my blued or melonited rifle barrels.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    I'm not an expert on Glock finishes. I do know that my older Glock slides and barrels are Tenifer, and I believe that to be a different trade name for the melonite process.

My comment with regard to blued and melonited rifle barrels is more of an observation than an endorsement. Like I said, Balistol seems to work fine with my Glocks but I've never used it on my blued or melonited rifle barrels.
    I got ya. I'm going to try it and see how it likes my nitrocarburized barrel. Thanks for the reply.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Melonite and Tenifer are trademarked variations of this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferr...trocarburizing

If what I have read is correct, Glock hasn't used the Tenifer process in awhile. If my further reading and observations are correct that change was somewhere at the end of or after Gen 2 frame type production. I *think* the Gen 1 and 2 pistols with the rougher charcoal gray colored slides were Tenifer while the slick/smooth blacker finish was/is what ever variation they switched to post Tenifer(and I am aware the coloration is not the metal treatment itself).

If that is the case (and for whatever it is worth basing this on a not so large sample size) I don't recall ever seeing an early pistol corrode...even some with the coloration completely worn off. I have seen 3 different Gen 3 frames with the smooth black coloration exhibit pitting with less use than the earlier types. I have also had an early M&P 45 (I think they advertised as Melonite at the time) exhibit pitting similar to the Gen 3 Glocks. Have to say I never saw evidence of corrosion of any kind on or in the barrels of those pistols, slide only.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 06-05-18 at 14:23.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    If you haven't gotten any rust with your regiment so far, then it's doing the trick. I don't use Ballistol, but I hear it is good stuff.
    Brother, you aint hurtin a thing...keep on keepin on. And Im a huge lover of Ballistol...its just great stuff. I even dig the smell!
    I too run a couple of wet patches thru my bores after cleaning.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    Ballistol is water miscible. It'll work but you'll need to keep it freshly wiped. I did my own corrosion test once upon a time and the only one that rusted faster was the untreated control patch and Breakfree CLP.

I dare to say the this is an area where Froglube does actually work very well. I use it for corrosion protection and that's it. FWIW, Froglube paste and Eezox were a dead heat tie for first followed by FL liquid.
    I also have some Grizzly Grease. Isn't it similar to FrogLube?

http://grizzlyguncare.com/grizzly-gr...c-clp-4-fl-oz/
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Brother, you aint hurtin a thing...keep on keepin on. And Im a huge lover of Ballistol...its just great stuff. I even dig the smell!
    I too run a couple of wet patches thru my bores after cleaning.
    I personally use EEZOX and have found it to be a very good rust preventer. But, hey, if his way gets it done, why change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-556 View Post
    I also have some Grizzly Grease. Isn't it similar to FrogLube?

http://grizzlyguncare.com/grizzly-gr...c-clp-4-fl-oz/
    Never even heard of it, but it sure looks like it from the website.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12