Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Gen 5...so far

Feedback Score
    As a lefty, the FCS on my 19.4SS and 17.4SS absolutely make both guns perfect. Had glock put them on the G5s I would have bought the 19/17 pair again. I love the no finger grooves but find the G5 slick slide finish too slippery to press check/rack. Hopefully, somewhere down the road they will introduce a run of them. OMMV.

Feedback Score
    Just in case anyone was interested, the G26 G5 is nice too. Mines chugging right along with close to 500rnds of everything through it.
    Did have concerns over the wear on the barrel hood considering some Gen 3s with thousands of rounds have no wear. But we shall see?
    Last edited by Hoosier15; 06-23-18 at 13:19.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    My dep. Recently went to Gen 5 17s from gen4 22s. As a lefty with a high thumbs forward grip I have locked the slide on a full mag inadvertently. I have mostly overcome this. We purchased our 17s with stock night sights on.. not impressed. The grip is very nice and the gun is 100%. I'm on a special response team so we shoot regularly and no one has had issues with reliability. The finish on the barrel seams to wear more quickly than my gen 3s/4s with thousands of rnds not sure why? All in all gen 3s are still my favorite, but the gen 5 is an overall improvement.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I continue to be impressed with my G17 each time I go to the range. I have some pretty heavily modded Glocks but honestly this one only needed sights. I've been struggling with some new glasses / bi-focals and still managed to shoot this group at 25yds (without glasses at all). Point of aim was the bottom of the bull, sights were a combat precision rear and a plain black front.
    fullsizeoutput_8b4 by Michael Starmer, on Flickr

Feedback Score
    I might be cynical but it cracks me up the trepidation that people talk about the new Glocks with.

I have a Gen 5 19 and it works great. If you mentioned the CZ P-10 C and you’ve put 300-500 rounds though it no malfunctions “CZ’s a Glock killer” or the new M&P’s same thing. Glock Gen 5? 500-600 rounds and “well, we’ll see it’s not field tested”.

I think everyone harkens back to the Gen 4 brass to face and now it’s taught us to put the Glocks under a microscope.

Mine hasn’t malfunctioned and I’m probably near 600-800 rounds. I think I had some 115 gr PMC (pretty soft shooting) give me a few brass to face in the first 100 rounds.

Other then that I certainly have had no malfunctions and I can’t recall any other BTF’s. Shoots really accurately; I was shooting to the left some, but the sights were on. I put on the medium blackstrap and I’m having no further issues.

I like the new finish, and with my hand shape the magwell also prevents me from pinching my palm on seating magazines (used to happen occasionally with the Gen 4 19). Overall, very pleased.

I keep thinking about the 34 Gen 5.

God Bless,

Brandon

Feedback Score

Angry

Both my G17Gen5 and G19Gen5 each have 9,000 rounds through them.
    I'm not getting brass to the face (unlike I did initially with my older G17Gen3; cured with a 30274 ejector).

I needed to sort out the sighting. Both came with the standard .165" polymer fronts and Glock's new-style 6.1mm polymer rears (aka GMS, I think means Glock Modified Sights). The GMS rear sights have a deeper rear slot and the overall width of the entire sight is narrower (than the old original rear poly sights).

I got my Gen5 Glocks in Oct '17. I haven't decided to get the G26Gen5 or G34Gen5 as I have both of these models already in Gen3 and Gen4, but then again, I already had the Gen3 and Gen4 with the G17 and G19, too.

I've no scientific test for my shooting but I seemed to group a bit low for my liking with the G17Gen5 and replaced the sights with standard Glock night sights (.165" front and 6.5mm rear). With the G19Gen5, for now, I'm leaving the .165" front with its 6.1mm rear as that gun seems to be generally hitting POI at POA at 15 yards (POI=point of impact; POA=point of aim).

With any Glock, I'll often shoot steel-cased Wolf (WPA), Tula, or Winchester ammo for practice. Steel-cased ammo generally bunches up in my double-stack mags often resulting with loose rounds in the upper half of the mag and the rest of the rounds bound up half way down where the blockage originates. The last time I bought 9mm ammo I remembered to buy brass-cased ammo but I've still got a couple thousand rounds left of this steel-cased stuff to shoot.

(I forgot and recently just bought another 1K rounds of .45ACP with steel-cases, although this typically feeds fine in my single-stack 1911 pistols, but not my G30Gen4 mags).

My groups do seem to be a bit smaller with my Gen5 Glocks, compared to my Gen3 and Gen4 models, but this is all usually at 15 yards where I'm still personally struggling for consistent accuracy over a 100 round session, standing & 2-handed. Sometimes I just have bad days and should have stayed home instead of going to the range.
    Last edited by L-2; 07-07-18 at 19:27.

Feedback Score
    Love my gen 5 G17. I just wish they had an OEM extended slide release for it. I put the OEM extended slide release on all of my gen 4's, but they don't have it for the ambi gen 5's yet. Pain.

Feedback Score
    My blue label G19.5 runs like a champ. I was initially apprehensive about the magwell cutout. But I don't notice it when running live fire drills, so its a non-issue for me.

Feedback Score
    Blew through the 500 rounds without out a single problem of any kind. Got it really nice and hot and it just kept on chugging away. I lubed it prior to shooting using Glock's recommended application points and amounts...worked like a charm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post
    Love my gen 5 G17. I just wish they had an OEM extended slide release for it. I put the OEM extended slide release on all of my gen 4's, but they don't have it for the ambi gen 5's yet. Pain.
    Glock part# 47249 is what you’re looking for. It comes on the Glock 34 gen 5. You might have to get an armorer to order it from Glock direct if you can’t find a take off.

For example: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/207643/47249/glock-gen5-ambidextrous-extended-slide-stop-lever

They also used a part number 33797 briefly, I don’t know if the part changed or just the part number.
    Last edited by Hadoken; 07-12-18 at 15:12.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast