Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My RECCE-ish build - light and functional (first post)

Feedback Score

My RECCE-ish build - light and functional (first post)

Just a long time lurker making my first post with my main rifle I built from the ground up. It's had a few iterations but I think I finally got it how I like it.

Rainier Arms Select 16" mid-length polygonal SS barrel 1/8 twist
    Battlecomp 2.0
    LMT BCG
    Vltor MUR-1 upper
    Aero Precision XM15 lower
    Midwest Industries 12" free-float Mlok handguard
    Daniel Defense fixed front sight
    Magpul Mbus rear sight
    Magpul UBR stock (not light I know but rock solid lock up and the consistent cheek weld I like).
    Misc. Magpul furniture
    Radian/AXTS Raptor charging handle
    Holosun 503G ACSS on Scalarworks T1 mount (testing it out after selling my Eotech 512)
    Ferro Concepts Slingster

The only things I'd like to add are an Arisaka offset mount for the Scout and and a 3x magnifier on a flip to side to add some versatility of the ACSS reticle for distance shots. Still looking at what I want for that. Any suggestions?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Spartacus; 06-05-18 at 23:17. Reason: Make the picture bigger / add detail to parts list

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    What makes you call it RECCE-ish?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I know it's not a gospel specimen (most notably the choice in optics) but just the philosophy of use behind the build I felt met the criteria. I wanted to keep it light and accurate - which it is both. Once I get a mag, the reticle of the ACSS is very capable of shots at distance.

I am open to critique if I am off base on my POU.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Typically a RECCE rifle is a light weight DMR type with the main goal to accurately reach out a few hundred meters while still being light and handy. They almost always use a stainless barrel and pair that with a variable optic, 1-6 would probably be the minimum. I don't personally care and I don't think it really matters, but based off the gun, I'd guess that its more of a general purpose rifle that is best suited out to 300m while still being capable out to 5-600. Like I said though, it really doesn't matter as long as it supports whatever role you want it for, I was just asking because you didn't really state a purpose in your OP and I don't know anything about that barrel.
    Last edited by Wake27; 06-05-18 at 18:09.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the info. I think based on what you've said it's somewhere in the middle for sure.

The barrel is stainless steel, free floated, and sub MOA if I do my part. I am very happy with it.

Maybe Swiss army build is more appropriate? I am relying on the expanse of knowledge here as I learn.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

My RECCE-ish build - light and functional (first post)

Fair enough, didn’t realize it was a stainless barrel and shoots that well. I’ve heard great things about the ACSS but would have no idea what magnifier to pair with the optic, my only experience is with the G33. I liked it and have seen people use it in conjunction with several different dots so maybe worth the consideration. LPVOs are worth looking at as well, but they start getting expensive real quick.

ETA - Garand Thumb on YouTube has a good video on Recce rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 06-06-18 at 04:31.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the recommendation. My buddy has a G33, maybe I can try before I buy.

I would also like to get a 1-8x when the budget affords but for now my budget is devoted to ammunition.

I haven't had the ACSS for long but it delivers as promised. I purchased it after using a friends and I am really a fan of it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    A good LVPO seems like it would be the next logical step. Looks like a great build all around.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles11B View Post
    A good LVPO seems like it would be the next logical step. Looks like a great build all around.
    Thanks. That seems to be the consensus with the LPVO, I will def put that on the docket. My interest is now piqued at the 1-8x ACSS with BDC... I will have to see how this one holds up.

Thanks for the help gents!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    The only things I'd like to add are an Arisaka offset mount for the Scout
    Have you tried that Gear Sector mount on the top rail instead of on the pic section mounted to the M-LOK slots? That is what I did before picking up my Arisaka. And speaking of the Scout light check out Cloud Defense, even comes in OD.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast