• Other (note in post)

6 7.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you free float your rifle and how do you choose tube length

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Why do you free float your rifle and how do you choose tube length

This statement made me wonder why folks choose to free float their rifles and why they choose the length of tube they choose.

Myself, I have a couple of reasons:

I've always been an advocate of not giving the guy a shot at you while you extend a weapon into position beyond cover. My preference is to post up behind cover and roll out with the weapon slightly below eye level to ID targets and shoot. With a handgun or shotgun using conventional sights you are less likely to nail your cover than with the offset or the AR rifles. Plus, the results of shooting into a brick corner with a rifle are likely to be much more exciting than doing so with a handgun or even a shotgun.

Additionally, if you plop your barrel onto the barricade near the muzzle and bear down any, you will likely have some POI shift. How much this will matter is dependent on the range at which you need to make hits.

Therefore I prefer my tubes as close to the muzzle as possible for use of cover purposes. (this is my primary)

Secondary, I think in terms of my shoulders as the base leg of the triangle, the rifle as the 90 degree leg, an my support arm as the final leg. In terms of strength, and controlling movement, straight legs are better, so I like to stretch out my support arm as much as possible.

Finally, aesthetics. I like the look of the tube close to the muzzle. I get that the Armed Forces feel a need to be able to run a bayonet, but IMHO the standard M4 is one butt ugly rifle.

What do you all think?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While I agree with your reasons and do so for the same reasons..... I haven't found the opposite (standard M4/M16 configuration) to have any real adverse affects in real world use.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Several reasons;

1) Decreased risk of barrel deflection due to sling tension, barricade / rest, etc. Free floating allows the barrel to move on it's own with minimal interference.

2) Improved ergonomics. I'm a big dude, and being able to get my support hand further out helps me control the rifle better and drive it from target to target faster and more accurately.

3) Increased iron sight radius, for the infrequent times I use them.

4) Weight savings.

5) Looks more tacticool. Which is really the most important aspect.

Feedback Score
    1. To keep barrel protected from deflection, be it a sling or baricade.
    2. Goes with 1, i wanted to maximize accuracy for hunting purposes, and i like accurate rifles.
    3. Reduce shadow from light
    4. Ergos- im 6’ and handguards behind a fsb feel cramped. Extended weak hand reach allowes better followups and control during target transitions.
    5. I will likely need a place to mount a laser at some point.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-06-18 at 16:40.

Feedback Score
    I free float for the little bit of accuracy I can get. For the length I do not run a rail that brings me to the end of the muzzle, I tend to keep them 11-13 inches. I have a 12 on a 16inch, a 12 on a 14.5inch that used to have a 11inch and a 13 on my 18inch. It saves a few ounces and I prefer the look. I'm 6'2 and having a little extra rail to grab onto is nice.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I free float because there are no disadvantages to do so and I like advantages.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I like FF handguards because they allow for more accuracy and, as someone who builds, I am just not a fan when it comes to dealing with the traditional delta ring assembly.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I had to pick "other". I just want what I want. Tomorrow I might want something else. If it's free floating it's a bit easier to figure out what you like from time to time.

Otherwise it's basically 'all of the above'. Every answer is legit for different people.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have pretty long arms, and I found myself touching the barrel under the sight post occasionally, which is really uncomfortable.

So I like a longer hand guard...12" seems to be sufficient, expect for 11.5" barrels, which I run a 10" or 10 3/4" hand guard...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    In no particular order of importance why I prefer FF handguards that extend closer to the muzzle:
    - Ergos
    - Better flashlight placement
    - Less exposed barrel to burn my leg when letting it hang off a sling, or my hand when grabbing the rifle.
    - Bipod mounting space
    - I feel that it conducts less heat to my support hand than a non-FF handguard since it doesn't have a forward mounting point that also conducts heat into the handguard
    - Insulates barrel from contacting whatever you rest the handguard on (pack, wood, rest etc).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast