G&R Tactical

Thread: How long is too long to wait for a custom barrel?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How long is too long to wait for a custom barrel?

Placed my order for a custom barrel 10 Jan, now almost 6 months later I still don't have my over $800 barrel for my 6.5 Grendel.

How long is too long? I've called a few times and keep getting excuses, estimated time at ordering was 4 months.

I'm getting anxious and just wondering if this should have been expecting when waiting for a one off custom barrel or if 6 month is way over due.

Thoughts?

Has anyone had their barrel take longer than 6 months?
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Do you mean having an existing blank chambered by a gunsmith or having a smith order a blank to chamber for you?

If it was an existing blank in the smiths hands, then 6 months is getting pretty long.

If the smith needed to order a barrel, then I wouldn't sweat it. I use a number of custom barrel makers, and between lead times on getting a blank and when a gunsmith can work it into his schedule, 6 months isn't that bad.

I don't know the specifics of your situation, hopefully this will give you some insight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masan View Post
    Do you mean having an existing blank chambered by a gunsmith or having a smith order a blank to chamber for you?

If it was an existing blank in the smiths hands, then 6 months is getting pretty long.

If the smith needed to order a barrel, then I wouldn't sweat it. I use a number of custom barrel makers, and between lead times on getting a blank and when a gunsmith can work it into his schedule, 6 months isn't that bad.

I don't know the specifics of your situation, hopefully this will give you some insight.
    This is a pretty popular company that has the Bartlein blank, I was told last month they were getting ready to cue my order and should have started on the 13th of May. I just don't want to keep calling and emailing if this is common wait times, I don't want a rushed barrel after waiting so long. Sounds like I just need to keep patient a little longer.

Thanks
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If they already have the blank, maybe they are just slogging through a ton of back logged work. 6.5mm barrel demand jumped to ridiculous levels after Sierra released their 150gr 6.5mm SMK and Berger announced their 155gr 6.5mm bullet. I had ordered two Brux barrels around that time, normally a 6 -8 week wait for a blank. The 6.5mm barrel was going to be 12-16 weeks at best.

Good luck! I hope you end up being happy with your custom barrel.