Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P 2.0 Slide Stop Modifications to Make Right Side Engagement Easier?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I had a 45c that did it on demand so was wondering if it was common across the line.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    My M&P 45 Midsize does if fairly regularly.
    Oh yeah, you're correct. Smith never intended this to be a feature, hence the secondary slide release hold

Feedback Score
    No it does not

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    The spring I removed is the wire spring attached to the slide stop that's barely visible if you look into the chamber with the slide locked back. The tab I'm referring to is visible on the left side of the gun under the slide stop. It basically holds the slide stop up or down. I believe the reason they put it there was to prevent the slide auto releasing when a mag is slammed in. But it has so much force the left slide release is very stiff and I'm physically incapable of releasing the slide with the right one. Removing the little spring like I did didn't change the function of the gun at all, since the tab is so strong. The slide still won't auto slingshot and it's very difficult to release the slide.
    How did you remove the spring?

I was fiddling with the M&P for a bit. I thought I could remove the "black cover" from the back, but no dice. That is the steel that reinforces the polymer frame.

Did you just pry/pop it off from the front? I think I will cut a few coils off instead of remove it completely.
    Last edited by beschatten; 06-17-18 at 08:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beschatten View Post
    How did you remove the spring?

I was fiddling with the M&P for a bit. I thought I could remove the "black cover" from the back, but no dice. That is the steel that reinforces the polymer frame.

Did you just pry/pop it off from the front? I think I will cut a few coils off instead of remove it completely.
    I'm not sure you're referring to the correct spring. There are no coils. The spring I removed is attached to the slide catch assembly. It pulled out pretty easily. You can see it here:

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prod82852.aspx

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not sure you're referring to the correct spring. There are no coils. The spring I removed is attached to the slide catch assembly. It pulled out pretty easily. You can see it here:

Ah - I thought you were referring to the spring loaded tab that holds up the 2.0's slide stop.

So here is what I did for those that want to know - reliability pending - as I haven't shot it yet.

I radius'd and polished the slide stop tab. Polished and rounded off the slide stop itself. And I am ordering a Frank Proctor 13# recoil spring, which should require less force to push down the slide stop. I kind of wished I just tried the new recoil spring first.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beschatten View Post
    Ah - I thought you were referring to the spring loaded tab that holds up the 2.0's slide stop.

So here is what I did for those that want to know - reliability pending - as I haven't shot it yet.

I radius'd and polished the slide stop tab. Polished and rounded off the slide stop itself. And I am ordering a Frank Proctor 13# recoil spring, which should require less force to push down the slide stop. I kind of wished I just tried the new recoil spring first.
    I did say that I thought it would help if you removed that tab, but I haven't done it myself. It exerts way too much force.

Feedback Score

Hi,
    I’m looking to make the slide stop easier to release with my thumb (prefer it to slide manipulation) but looking at the spring it appears to be exerting pressure down on the stop not up?

53B2D0FA-547C-40A4-9910-9F21C447C01E.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobie View Post
    Hi,
    I’m looking to make the slide stop easier to release with my thumb (prefer it to slide manipulation) but looking at the spring it appears to be exerting pressure down on the stop not up?

53B2D0FA-547C-40A4-9910-9F21C447C01E.jpg
    Yes, it is exerting pressure downward. That is to keep the slide stop from bouncing up and down and locking the slide to the rear before the mag is empty. When the last round is fired from the mag, the ledge on the follower pushes up on the tab on the right side of the lever as pictured, locking the slide to the rear.

If anything that spring should help you push down the slide stop, not hinder you.

I don't believe the slide stop pictured is a 2.0 stop.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I did say that I thought it would help if you removed that tab, but I haven't done it myself. It exerts way too much force.
    To remove the tab push on the front of the tab with a punch or pick. It should slide back a bit - there are tabs on the assembly that will align with the notches on the frame, then pry it up and out. The spring loaded detent easily separates from the rest of the tab. Do your stoning to the detent and reassemble.

I do not know what other spring you guys are talking about on the 2.0 slide catch. The clip that was used to attach the spring is still present on the 2.0 slide stop, but the spring is not installed.

My plan is to remove the detent and install the Gen 1 spring - if I can find one without having to buy the entire Gen 1 slide stop.

I run the slide the way Smith intended with this modification - overhand grip, pull slide slightly to rear and release. The only reason that I am wanting to make the mods is that I'm left handed, and after showing clear at the end of a stage it is hard for me to let the slide go forward using my left thumb - my right hand being full of mag and ejected round which I sometimes neatly catch.

ETA 6/27: I clipped a coil and a half from the spring on the back of the detent tab. I originally tried putting it together without the detent tab at all, but the slide catch moved up and down too easily, so I figured it would induce early lock backs. I put it together with the detent tab and no spring, that didn't work either. So I clipped the spring as noted. Still no joy on releasing the slide by using the right side lever with the left thumb, but the left side (right thumb) seemed easier.

Shot a couple mags, no premature lock backs, but I would not trust this modification on a carry gun until a lot more testing is done. If you want to make the slide catch work easier on a carry pistol, I would suggest removing the detent tab completely and installing a Gen 1 spring on the spring clip of the 2.0 slide stop. The downside to that will likely be 'auto-forwarding' when you slam a mag home over zealously.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-27-18 at 20:31.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast