Thread: Supersonic 300 BLK suppressor on 16" 5.56

Feedback Score

Supersonic 300 BLK suppressor on 16" 5.56

It's been a while since I've posted and done any real shooting but I'm getting ready to buy another suppressor. This one is going on my CMMG Guard and occasionally my Glock 19. I've narrowed down my selection to the Rugged Obsidian 9 or The Ghost SD9. I like how narrow the Rugged is, and I like the robustness of the Ghost but if I can use the Ghost on a 16" 5.56 AR platform I would be swayed. I've already reached out to manufacturer but I thought I'd start here. Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by long-shot View Post
    It's been a while since I've posted and done any real shooting but I'm getting ready to buy another suppressor. This one is going on my CMMG Guard and occasionally my Glock 19. I've narrowed down my selection to the Rugged Obsidian 9 or The Ghost SD9. I like how narrow the Rugged is, and I like the robustness of the Ghost but if I can use the Ghost on a 16" 5.56 AR platform I would be swayed. I've already reached out to manufacturer but I thought I'd start here. Thanks in advance!
    Neither of those cans are rated for 300 Blackout supersonic, let alone 5.56. They're pistol cans--- no rifle calibers with them. 300 Blackout (subsonic) is essentially a pistol cartridge fired through a rifle, which is why you can get by with a pistol can. That being said, centerfire rifle suppressors are still the way to go for subsonic Blackout.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your response. The Dead Air Ghost 9SD is however rated for both super and sub sonic 300 BLK however. The Obsidian is only rated for sub. I have little to no interest in 300 BLK but if I could use the Ghost on my 5.56 AR's it would be of interest.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by long-shot View Post
    Thank you for your response. The Dead Air Ghost 9SD is however rated for both super and sub sonic 300 BLK however. The Obsidian is only rated for sub. I have little to no interest in 300 BLK but if I could use the Ghost on my 5.56 AR's it would be of interest.
    There's no such can as a "Ghost 9SD" The Ghost is NOT rated for supers, and is a 45 can. The WOLF is a 9mm can that's rated for 300 supers. (Similar to the Omega 9K). The Wolf is very much not a pistol can though... it's a PCC / subgun can. It can run on that Glock 19, but you would be much more happy other options.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Correct, but that's not the Ghost. Different suppressors. The Wolf isn't something I would recommend using on 5.56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua_capitolarmory View Post
    Correct, but that's not the Ghost. Different suppressors. The Wolf isn't something I would recommend using on 5.56.
    Thank you for the correction and your opinion. I was hoping it was a function of temp/pressure and the extra bore diameter would allow for 5.56 on a carbine length barrel but it was likely wishful thinking. Thank you again.

Feedback Score
    Generally a can that can be used for rifles and pistols will be heavy for pistols and loud and not durable on rifles.

Griffins gen3 revolution 9 is a great 9mm can and can be used for 223, but i think its only rated for 3-5 shots at a time.
    I have no clue how quiet it is for 223, but i would not have high hopes.