Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Viper (PST?) 1-4x - First magnified optic?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Vortex Viper (PST?) 1-4x - First magnified optic?

I found a refurb at Cabela’s for $267, which is after a 20% discount and is as low as they will go.

Checking reviews, it seems this scope was the mid-range scope to have just a couple years ago. The reviews I’ve been reading have some grabbing the PST 1-4x over the Strike Eagle 1-6x, which I’ve also been considering.

If I can mine the wisdom here, what do you think? $300 is the just about max I am budgeting for a first LPVO, besides the mount. I don’t shoot enough right now to justify picking up a Razor, though I think that would be a consideration if I found I liked the LPVO thing.

Use: Extending my experience beyond irons and red dots without wasting money on junk. 12.5” and 16” barrels. Generally 0-200 meters.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    They are tanks, not the greatest glass in the world but pretty good for the money, if $300 is your budget I doubt you'll do much better.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    In the same boat as you. I want to check out the magnified optics deal. Max I can shoot is 300 yards. I almost bought the PST 1-4 about 6 weeks ago when Cabelas was clearance but them for or something silly cheap. Out of stock by the time I got home.

I back ordered a P4xi last week for a very reasonable price. It’s had great reviews so that’s what I’m going to try out. I think you made a good choice for an f around figure things out optic.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I don't have any time behind the Strike Eagle but based off of reviews, I think the 1-4 Viper is a better starting point. I began there but then quickly transitioned to the P4Xi. If you can swing the extra money for the Steiner, I think its the best option in the sub-$500 range. But, at that price, the Viper would be a great deal.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I don't have any time behind the Strike Eagle but based off of reviews, I think the 1-4 Viper is a better starting point. I began there but then quickly transitioned to the P4Xi. If you can swing the extra money for the Steiner, I think its the best option in the sub-$500 range. But, at that price, the Viper would be a great deal.
    Yep, 100% every word.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Old, trusty PST 1-4x is very good glass for it's price class. Much better glass than Strike Eagle 1-6x has, so if no real need of 6x magnification it will be better choice. Glass etched reticle allows for good precision if needed, while still good for fast shooting on 1x. Personally I would prefer it in HS flavour due to capped turrets (I prefer them on LPVO), but still PST is a great scope, even if a bit dated in world of 1-6/8/10x
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Dang. Got back to Cabela’s today (60 miles away) and this was gone, despite being under the counter since December. Thanks for the input everyone. I’ll keep looking.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I wasn't a fan of the PST gen1, the gen2 is a Razor for 60% the price with likely less durable

I'd save the $$$ for a gen2 as everything about it is better except size/weight.

4x really isn't very useful, that last 2x to 6x gets you to see better at 200/300.

when the targets are smaller than a torso... it makes a difference

also sucks to not be able to spot your misses

Steiner may be better, but I've never used a lv version, only the higher mag scopes

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    I wasn't a fan of the PST gen1, the gen2 is a Razor for 60% the price with likely less durable

I'd save the $$$ for a gen2 as everything about it is better except size/weight.

4x really isn't very useful, that last 2x to 6x gets you to see better at 200/300.

when the targets are smaller than a torso... it makes a difference

also sucks to not be able to spot your misses

Steiner may be better, but I've never used a lv version, only the higher mag scopes
    I have always been kind of underwhelmed by 4x. For some reason it always felt like it should have more zoom than it does, and that’s just at 100m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Actually found this at another Cabela’s for $296. With a couple gift cards I got 20% off, I’m happy with the price. At least gets me some experience with something better than a Bushnell AR 1-4x.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast