Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: InRange TV - Mud Test: FNH SCAR 17S

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

InRange TV - Mud Test: FNH SCAR 17S

Have to say I'm sort of surprised at the outcome, but only sort of surprised at the outcome. The number of firearms to, "pass," is very, very small - and the failures include every flavor of AK to be tested, a Mosin-Nagant, a Kar.98k Mauser, 1911s, &c.

(Please note: Neither Karl nor Ian nor myself would ever recommend that you choose a firearm based solely on its performance in the IRTV mud tests.)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Saw this when it was uploaded. Was really impressed. I love my 16 and wish I could get a 17!.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    My take away from these kinds of "tests" is this:

Do not put your firearm in mud and pack mud into it and expect it to run flawlessly.

If it does, bonus!

Couple observations:

Try that without a mag in the rifle and then try to load 'er up.
    Try that with the bolt locked back and then try to shoot it.
    Try that with mud in the barrel and then ... try to survive the "test."

Last edited by TRSTNG; 06-10-18 at 16:00.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRSTNG View Post
    My take away from these kinds of "tests" is this:

Do not put your firearm in mud and pack mud into it and expect it to run flawlessly.

If it does, bonus!

Couple observations:

Try that without a mag in the rifle and then try to load 'er up.
    Try that with the bolt locked back and then try to shoot it.
    Try that with mud in the barrel and then ... try to survive the "test."

I don't understand the purpose of the first two: No firearm will, "pass," those, "tests".

The obstructed bore, however, is a test I believe that some firearms are intended to survive. And in the case of the USP and Mk23, I believe they're tests the firearm is not only intended to survive, but to continue functioning afterwards.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    I love it. Makes me feel better I bought a SCAR 17s despite all the negative comments on the web regarding optics, magazines, etc. I love my SCAR and enjoy it every time I take it out.

Feedback Score
    On both occasions I fired SCAR17s, I came away impressed. I was equally impressed by the precision of a SCAR16s. Really nice rifle.

Does anyone know what Karl was referring to when he mentioned reports of the rifle not having great service life?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    I love it. Makes me feel better I bought a SCAR 17s despite all the negative comments on the web regarding optics, magazines, etc. I love my SCAR and enjoy it every time I take it out.
    I am with you, and have no buyers remorse , about my SCAR 17.
    My internals are showing no signs of wear, after 7 years of moderate use...applying Super Lube grease. Running reloads too.

Battleground Vegas has had great results while renting both the 17 & the 16.
    The least breakage of all their rental weapons .( by proportion of use)
    Amateur Shooter... Professional Accumulator // Don't do anything Stupid; Don't let Stupid do anything to You.
    TAKE YOUR TIME......... IN A HURRY.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post

Have to say I'm sort of surprised at the outcome, but only sort of surprised at the outcome. The number of firearms to, "pass," is very, very small - and the failures include every flavor of AK to be tested, a Mosin-Nagant, a Kar.98k Mauser, 1911s, &c.

(Please note: Neither Karl nor Ian nor myself would ever recommend that you choose a firearm based solely on its performance in the IRTV mud tests.)
    Out of curiosity, what are some of the firearms that "passed"?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what are some of the firearms that "passed"?
    AR-15 (every one that has been tested), P08 Luger, home-build CETME-L. There may be others.
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What did they mean by "we've heard stories about it not having great service life"?

A rifle costing $3000 + better have a Methuselah-like service life...
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast