Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel break in

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Barrel break in

What do you guys do breaking in a new barrel, if anything?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I don't do anything special. Over all the years I've read about barrel break in, I've heard so many different things and many people say it's not necessary. I choose to go with that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    What do you guys do breaking in a new barrel, if anything?

A lot of different theories. One that I read and follow is use the bullet heaviest bullet I can find for the first 100 rounds. As I understand the theory is that these have the longest bearing surface, which theoretically would polish/smooth more. Generally 75 or 77 grain.

I've tried 1 shot, cool, use Roger's Bore Solvent to clean, repeat times ten; then 5 shoots, cool, clean bore, repeat times four; then ten rounds SLOW, clean bore, repeat times four. Total 70 rounds and a long afternoon. Then clean after every range visit for a while,

I've also tried 5 rounds slow, cool, then clean repeat six time times; 10 rounds slow, cool, then clean, repeat times three time.

Then clean after every range visit for a while. Then clean the bore when accuracy begins to fall off - personally, I never get to that point, but I will fire several hundred rounds between cleanings.

To be honest, I'm not sure it helps much. The barrel will settle in as you shoot it anyways, just avoid rapid fire mag dumps early in it's life.

Here is a guy who probably knows what he is talking about: http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-10-18 at 00:05.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    A lot of different theories.
    And they can all be read on previous threads by searching, there’s a post on this every few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    It really depends on who’s barrel and how it was finished. Quality barrels don’t require beak-in as they are hand-lapped in the factory. Lower quality barrels may be a bit rough and benefit from a lapping/cleaning regime.

I’ve followed manufacturers’ break-in procedures for barrels and not had any different results from just shooting them. My “properly broken in” barrels were no more accurate and did not last any longer than barrels I just took out and shot. These days I believe it to be a waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Using tapatalk the search function SUCKS!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Using tapatalk the search function SUCKS!

That is true...
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That is true...
    I do try searching, but it always seems to come back with 100000 results that are of zero consequence.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It completely depends on the barrel. My new precision bolt gun barrels don't get treated the same as my new chrome lined AR barrels.

Feedback Score
    It's a brand new chrome lined ar barrel, sionics upper/ barrel to be exact

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast