Thread: P229 Issue

Feedback Score

P229 Issue

Yesterday I shot my Sig P229 (.40 cal) and noticed the issue below in the photos. The gun simply will not field strip. As you can see, the recoil spring is resting up against the top of the trigger. I am not sure if the recoil spring broke or somehow came off of the guide rod. I do not think the guide rod is broken. The takedown lever will still rotate, but the slide will not go forward off the frame.

Anyway, it is going back to Sig. I am a Sig classic line armorer and have never seen this happen. Has anyone seen anything like this or know how to remedy it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jschmitt08 View Post
    Yesterday I shot my Sig P229 (.40 cal) and noticed the issue below in the photos. The gun simply will not field strip. As you can see, the recoil spring is resting up against the top of the trigger. I am not sure if the recoil spring broke or somehow came off of the guide rod. I do not think the guide rod is broken. The takedown lever will still rotate, but the slide will not go forward off the frame.

Anyway, it is going back to Sig. I am a Sig classic line armorer and have never seen this happen. Has anyone seen anything like this or know how to remedy it?
    Broken guide rod?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Would a small flatblade screwdriver, or 90 degree pick, fit into the space to maybe push the rod and/or spring back into place?
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I hope you get a detailed description of the problem from SIG.

Is the guide rod polymer or steel?

Feedback Score
    It is a steel guide rod. Yes a small screwdriver/pick does fit into the space, but it does not push the spring enough.

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    If the take down lever rotates can you remove the lever from the frame? That "could" free things up enough for you to get the slide off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    deleted - using IIRC info versus I'm certain info doesn't help at this point
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-13-18 at 17:54.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I could not get the lever out. Shipped it off to Sig earlier.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Looks like the spring jumped over the rear of the guide rod. Any chance that a 226/ 220 spring was installed?

Good luck getting any explanation from Sig as to what actually caused the problem. I have sent numerous departmental guns back to them over the years. You're lucky to get a note that says "test-fired --okay"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    Looks like the spring jumped over the rear of the guide rod. Any chance that a 226/ 220 spring was installed?

Good luck getting any explanation from Sig as to what actually caused the problem. I have sent numerous departmental guns back to them over the years. You're lucky to get a note that says "test-fired --okay"
    This is also an issued gun. As far as the spring, it was the correct spring from a large batch we ordered. You can tell by the color.

I think you are right on with what happened also.
    Last edited by jschmitt08; 07-13-18 at 22:01.