Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Barrel Nut

Feedback Score

Broken Barrel Nut

To start off with, I’m very new to assembling my own ARs as This thread will show.

I tried to set an 8” 300 blackout barrel into the enhanced Aero Precision Upper.

I used a Geisele(sp) reaction rod in my vice with Aero Precision’s barrel nut and wrench with my own, way oversized for the job torque wrench.

Long story short, Aero Precision recommends 50-55 footpounds of Torque. I think I was able to manage 35-40 pounds of torque before the wrench warped and broke basically every tooth off the barrel nut. I ordered a new wrenched and tried my best to remove the barrel nut, but it’s basically impossible. The barrel is in there SOLID.

My question is... am I completely out of luck and should scrap the upper or will I able be able to safely fire the upper, and just be out of luck in a year or so if I wanted to change out the barrel?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    pic of wrench? I dont even know how thats possible.

I would try to remove the nut, maybe weld or jb weld a cheap wrench to it.
    Or just assemble it and see how it works, id imagine it will be fine, assuming you didnt cross thread it or anything like that.

I still dont understand how teeth broke off.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-10-18 at 10:30.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pic of the whole thing? What barrel nut?

Feedback Score
    Pictures to follow this evening.

So when I say “wrench” I mean the wrench attachment that has grooves to fit the barrel nut.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-ba...ut-wrench.html

According to Aero Precision, this is a pretty common problem and it’s difficult to keep the torque wrench perfectly perpendicular.

The barrel nut is this one, with all teeth broken off.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/cop-barrel-nut.html

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    A picture would help but it sounds like you've got a mess. Before I threw it away I would try a couple of things. First I would try to get it loose with a hammer and punch. Not a heavy hammer, Maybe 10-12 oz. The effect is like an impact wrench. Another way would be get a piece of steel tubing maybe 1/8 wall (NOT PLUMBING PIPE) Large enough to slip over the barrel and have the best welder you know TIG it to as much of the nut as he can see. Think of like an extra long deep well socket.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A couple of things I would try before I went to welding, etc.

As I understand a couple of teeth are left. Are any threads from the barrel nut visible? If you have enough surface simply use a pipe wrench to remove the barrel nut.

Since it is 'stuck' I would try to use barrel blocks first in order to ensure I didn't unseat the barrel extension. Otherwise, make sure your reaction rod is solidly secured.

You can make a set of barrel blocks easily enough -

* get two short lengths of 2x4, mate them perfectly together tighten them into your vise (alternatively you could screw them together);

* use a speedbore type ( http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bit...speed-bit-sets ) as close to your barrel diameter as possible and dril through the 2x4's at the joint - the speedbore screw end gets you started and holds in place until the larger cutting bit engages the wood;

Attachment 52409

You say there are a couple of teeth left on the barrel nut. If the pipe wrench won't work, drive the nut off. The receiver has to be solidly mounted for this, so I would probably use the reaction rod to reduce vibration.

If you have a piece of hardwood, I would use it against the tooth, otherwise use a large machinist punch. Make sure it is solidly mounted and that the punch/board is solidly against the tooth. Use a big enough hammer to transfer some energy and sharply rap - versus pound/beat - looking for an impact that jars with as little force as possible. You can increase the power of your blows as needed, but start with a sharp rap.

You'll get it.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    A couple of things I would try before I went to welding, etc.

As I understand a couple of teeth are left. Are any threads from the barrel nut visible? If you have enough surface simply use a pipe wrench to remove the barrel nut.

Since it is 'stuck' I would try to use barrel blocks first in order to ensure I didn't unseat the barrel extension. Otherwise, make sure your reaction rod is solidly secured.

You can make a set of barrel blocks easily enough -

* get two short lengths of 2x4, mate them perfectly together tighten them into your vise (alternatively you could screw them together);

* use a speedbore type ( http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bit...speed-bit-sets ) as close to your barrel diameter as possible and dril through the 2x4's at the joint - the speedbore screw end gets you started and holds in place until the larger cutting bit engages the wood;

Attachment 52409

You say there are a couple of teeth left on the barrel nut. If the pipe wrench won't work, drive the nut off. The receiver has to be solidly mounted for this, so I would probably use the reaction rod to reduce vibration.

If you have a piece of hardwood, I would use it against the tooth, otherwise use a large machinist punch. Make sure it is solidly mounted and that the punch/board is solidly against the tooth. Use a big enough hammer to transfer some energy and sharply rap - versus pound/beat - looking for an impact that jars with as little force as possible. You can increase the power of your blows as needed, but start with a sharp rap.

You'll get it.
    It's a sort of monolithic upper. You can't see but half the nut. Google it for pictures.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    It's a sort of monolithic upper. You can't see but half the nut. Google it for pictures.
    Oh, yeah. I looked at the Aero site, but their pics didn't give me the idea it was that recessed. This one does:

Attachment 52410

May be able to tap it, but pipe wrench definitely not an option.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Can you try a strap wrench?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Can you try a strap wrench?
    This or a channel lock.

I used a big channel lock to remove a Daniel Defense lite rail barrel nut that a “gunsmith” has his way with.

Eta: good gravy just sawr the pics of the barrel nut under the rail interface so my suggestion definitely won’t work.
    Last edited by Rifleman_04; 06-13-18 at 21:54.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast