Thread: 6-48 screw help

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

6-48 screw help

Anybody have a source for long (9/16-3/4") oval head torx 6-48 screws? I can only find slotted ones and they start to strip when torqued. Appreciate any help!

Feedback Score
    How much torque are you applying and what is stripping? The head or threads? If screwing into aluminum about 6 in/lb for steel 10 in/lb would be about the top of the range. If you have a lubricant or loctite on the threads about a 25% reduction would still get the same holding force.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    How much torque are you applying and what is stripping? The head or threads? If screwing into aluminum about 6 in/lb for steel 10 in/lb would be about the top of the range. If you have a lubricant or loctite on the threads about a 25% reduction would still get the same holding force.
    15 in/lbs. Installing a Delta point on a sig 320 slide. The slot in the head is stripping/wearing down. Using vc3 for thread locker.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    Anybody have a source for long (9/16-3/4") oval head torx 6-48 screws? I can only find slotted ones and they start to strip when torqued. Appreciate any help!
    Brownells has the screws They also sell proper driver bits. If you use a hollow ground bit the correct size it will not damage your slotted screws.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Brownells has the screws They also sell proper driver bits. If you use a hollow ground bit the correct size it will not damage your slotted screws.
    Do you have a link? I'm only seeing 8-40 in torx in the length I need

Feedback Score
    Try looking at McMaster-Carr.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk