Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Load data for 69gr SMK's and 8208

Feedback Score

Load data for 69gr SMK's and 8208

Can anyone share their load data using 69gr SMKHP's and 8208 XBR powder? TIA.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I loaded up some Sierra 69gr TMKs with Tula primers and tested up to 24gr XBR 8208 for pressure signs. I backed the load to 23.7gr and it shot well for me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I found out first hand that XBR, like many powders, is lot sensitive. We had a hot load that a buddy worked up. And it was working nicely until I bought a different lot of XBR. I got a lot of blown primers after the lot change.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I found out first hand that XBR, like many powders, is lot sensitive. We had a hot load that a buddy worked up. And it was working nicely until I bought a different lot of XBR. I got a lot of blown primers after the lot change.
    Agreed. Same load from one lot to the next was 90fps different.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Wow! We saw 60 fps variance with Varget, and 100 fps with IMR 4064. I used to think that lot change stuff was insignificant nonsense. Not any more.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Good to know. I have loaded up 10 rounds starting at 23.1grs (increasing in .3gr increments) up to 24grs max. Brass is once fired Hornady with Fed 205M primers. I hope to get out and do a little shooting next week. FWIW, the barrel is a 20" Krieger 1/7.7 twist.

Feedback Score
    I've gone up to 24.0 using 69s with good results but I chronograph every time I get a new keg and adjust the charge.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twm134 View Post
    I've gone up to 24.0 using 69s with good results but I chronograph every time I get a new keg and adjust the charge.
    I have a LabRadar and will definitely be recording the shot data.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Pappabear grabbed an 8 of XBR. I'll have to dig into it and compare velocities on this stuff. As mentioned up above, the last two times I checked, the changes were stunning.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Well crap. I have a pound I was saving for a heavy bullet load work up. 55 grain bullets shot OK but didn't get the near the velocity of other powders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast