Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Rifleman Article: Testing 38 Special

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

American Rifleman Article: Testing 38 Special

Here is a bit of info on the terminal performance of the 38 Special when fired from a snubby Ruger.

The 38 remains a popular choice for EDC so I'm posting the link with the hope that this information will be helpful to some here on the board.

Results are probably about what one would expect from the snub. The surprise is the Hornady Critical Defense standard pressure. It appears to expand reliably while surpassing the 12" FBI minimum. The Remington cheap green and white box 125gr also did pretty well although it and the Federal HST were a little shallow in the clothing test.

Too bad about the Gold Dot. I assume it would go quite well from a 4" barrel.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ial-cartridge/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The Gold Dot is not the right round, a non +P, should have tested the 135 gr short barrel load.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Yea, nothing really new here.

The Remington 125 gr SJHP isn't bad at all, and can be had cheap sometimes. We've fired lots of it in +p form.

Wife has Hornady XTP 125 gr in her LCR. Has some bark to it, doesn't recoil heavily, accurate. It will not expand and that's fine. The jhp should help "bite" instead of deflect, and it will penetrate like a semi wadcutter.

I prefer a mild .357 mag load myself, especially 125 gr Golden Sabre. (@1050 fps from a snub) Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr is also a good, mild, low flash .357 load.
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-14-18 at 08:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've seen the Remington green and white box 125gr +P for sale in 100 round bulk packs at Wal-Mart. Budget priced but looks like a decent choice.

The Hornady Critical Defense standard pressure also looks like a good choice when compared to the other stuff tested. It didn't penetrate the deepest but it did meet the 12" minimum and appears to expand reliably.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting. I wish they provided some info such as gel tests and test barrel used.

Feedback Score
    Ah, the Lehigh "Defender" bullet.

That does look like a good one. I'm sure Underwood loads it, too. I wonder how much muzzle blast there is but performance wise I'll bet it cuts a good, deep hole without much recoil.

Might shoot a little low.

Still, a good option for the short barrels.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Wife has Hornady XTP 125 gr in her LCR. Has some bark to it, doesn't recoil heavily, accurate. It will not expand and that's fine. The jhp should help "bite" instead of deflect, and it will penetrate like a semi wadcutter.
    If non-expansion with that load from a snubby is a given (and I agree that it is), why not go with a full wadcutter (and I do) for better tissue disruption, and better straight line penetration? That's what I carry in the snubby; for a reload I carry a speed strip or speed loader with 158 gr. +P LSWCHP, for various reasons, but mainly because I can slide them into the cylinder faster than those flat-faced full wadcutters. Target wadcutters are pretty weak, but if you can find or load full power wadcutters, such as those from Buffalo Bore, they ought to do the trick.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4C View Post
    go with a full wadcutter for better tissue disruption, and better straight line penetration? .
    I see this mentioned quite a bit and wonder about the myth vs reality. Is there any evidence to back up the claims of tissue damage or is it just assumed that since wadcutters cut nice holes in paper they also cut nice holes in tissue? Is it something that was speculated about years ago that grew roots and became unproven fact?

Adding to the confusion are the stories of how ER docs and trauma surgeons cannot tell the difference between a wound caused by 9mm and one caused by 45 ACP. If that's true then how is a flat faced wadcutter going to be that much more effective than some other 38 bullet?

Something I've always been curious about.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4C View Post
    If non-expansion with that load from a snubby is a given (and I agree that it is), why not go with a full wadcutter (and I do) for better tissue disruption, and better straight line penetration? That's what I carry in the snubby; for a reload I carry a speed strip or speed loader with 158 gr. +P LSWCHP, for various reasons, but mainly because I can slide them into the cylinder faster than those flat-faced full wadcutters. Target wadcutters are pretty weak, but if you can find or load full power wadcutters, such as those from Buffalo Bore, they ought to do the trick.
    Well, its pretty much like you said. Wadcutters are normally loaded weak. They also don't load easily into the chambers. The hot 148 gr hardcaste wadcutters have heavier recoil than she likes. So, we arrived at a lighter, standard pressure semi wadcutter profile jhp that won't expand.

For practice ammo I have several kinds but the 125-130 gr fmj 's are probably our favorite. Not hot, same point of aim as carry ammo, easy to load, easier to clean the gun.
    But, when I can save money buying lead bullets, I usually do.

I'd like to go to six shot LCR .327's actually. Gain one shot and all .32 s&w and .32 magnum is low recoil. But it's very expensive, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast