Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What 11.5" barrel would you go with?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by snackgunner View Post
    Do you recommend a lightweight barrel for use w a suppressor?
    NFA items aren't allowed in Hawaii so I have very little experience with them, which is why I never made a specific recommendation. But I'm unaware of any reason why a government profile barrel would be a better suppressor host than a LW, since half of a govt profile is LW anyways.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I have an 11.5" BCM lightweight (the ELW wasn't available) with a SilencerCo Omega. My reasoning for choosing it over a government profile barrel is all the extra weight on the government barrel is out front. So it would be like having a 4 oz. or so heavier can with no added benefit. There's absolutely no advantage to a government weight barrel and, from what I've read, they actually came about from a mistake.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I love my SIONICS RGP. But I really think it's a CORRECTLY gassed barrel. I don't run a can on mine. I still like the idea of an adjustable for a suppressed SBR so you can really choke it down.

Every one of our short guns are tuned to cycle like rifles.
    Agreed. I love mine too and it ran great even without a can....and this was before the SLR Sentry 7 AGB was adjusted.

As you and Mist have pointed out, there is ZERO reliability downside to a properly installed, quality AGB.

My Sionics RGP upper with SpecWar 556 is smoother than my buddy's 20" Colt A2. No reason to NOT have a gun run this good.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    I'm a fan of the Ballistic Advantage Hanson 11.3". 4150 HPT MPI and nitrided, with a properly-sized gas port for 5.56, included gas block that's already drilled for a pin, and the original CAR-15 profile that the mil never should have got away from. What's not to like?

I'm not a fan of adjustable gas blocks. The setup that my BA replaced was a Faxon 11.5" middy with SLR Sentry gas block (widely regarded as one of the best). I ran it suppressed at a high round count class, and the gas block adjustment screw pretty quickly became so fouled that clicks were indistinct, leading to some errors in adjusting it properly when switching to and from the can, and leading to malfunctions. It's SO much simpler just to have a nice 11.5" with carbine gas with a properly sized gas port that runs reliably with or without the can.
    Last edited by henschman; 06-15-18 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My EWL Flutted 11.5 BCM works fine with a Saker-K

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I just put together a pistol build with a Rosco Manufacturing 11.5", very pleased for the price point. Vetted by GarandThumb, of Youtube fame.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by henschman View Post
    I'm a fan of the Ballistic Advantage Hanson 11.3". 4150 HPT MPI and nitrided, with a properly-sized gas port for 5.56, included gas block that's already drilled for a pin, and the original CAR-15 profile that the mil never should have got away from. What's not to like?

I'm not a fan of adjustable gas blocks. The setup that my BA replaced was a Faxon 11.5" middy with SLR Sentry gas block (widely regarded as one of the best). I ran it suppressed at a high round count class, and the gas block adjustment screw pretty quickly became so fouled that clicks were indistinct, leading to some errors in adjusting it properly when switching to and from the can, and leading to malfunctions. It's SO much simpler just to have a nice 11.5" with carbine gas with a properly sized gas port that runs reliably with or without the can.
    Damn now you got me rethinking adjustable gas blocks.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by henschman View Post

No adjustable gas block is designed to be toggled between settings likea gear shift lever. That's user error. There was nothing wrong with your gas block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Damn now you got me rethinking adjustable gas blocks.
    Don't rethink anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    For my 11.5" barrel, I looked at BCM or Sionics because at the time I had an extra BCM blem upper, BCM Gunfighter charging handle, Larue 7.0 rail, and LMT FA BCG. I went with Sionics and could not be happier with the performance.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast