Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What 11.5" barrel would you go with?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've run three different 11.5" barrels with a Surefire can...BCM CHF, BCM ELW & Sionics RGP.

Sionics RGP is the smoothest running of the three and the least overgassed. BCM ELW and CHF-govt are both about the same. I agree with Wake27 about the profile and I no longer own the gov't profile barrel. Both the Sionics and ELW have somewhere is the 3k run through them and both have been good performers with little issue. (One blown primer using the Sionics). Sionics is heavier than ELW, but runs smoother suppressed. I've run them with an A5H2 or H3, carbine with H3/Sprinco blue spring and with Geissele super 42/H2. The best performance has been from the A5, the carbines have not been an issue, just run a little harder. If I were buying another 11.5, it would be the Sionics 11.5 RGP for its balance, accuracy and smaller gas port/smoother operation. My $.02 using both barrels on ranges, classes and hunting.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    IMHO, there are a lot of great choices out there, I went with a Spikes Tactical 11.5" FN Cold Hammer Forged *Optimum Profile* barrel which is lighter than a government profile but is a little beefier than a lightweight profile, mine has a gage pin measured.076" thousands diameter gas port. I then added a V Seven Titanium .625 Gas block (3 set screw) in Ionbond BLK and then a .065" sized BRT EZTUNE Gas Tube to choke it down for reliable dedicated suppressor use. Of course one could also choke it down to around .070" for 50/50 use. I am using it with the Raptor silencer-optimized charging handle and get no gas to the face. Paired up with BCM's -MCMR-10-M-LOK handguard using a V7-Weapon-Systems-Titanium-KMR-Barrel-Nut and BCM's upper receiver and you have a nice *lightweight*, soft shooting, hard use barreled upper that is not as front heavy compared to some others barrels when using a suppressor, and it is more than accurate enough for its intended use. I will probably be adding the Surefire Optimized long stroke bolt carrier system when they become available, which should be pretty soon now, for its increased reliability and bolt life and also possibly change out the BCM handguard for a Geissele Mk16 handguard at some point, but in reality on a 10 inch length hand guard, the rigidity of the BCM handguard should be just fine.

https://www.righttobear.com/Spikes-T...sb51106-lw.htm
    https://www.rainierarms.com/v-seven-...w-ionbond-blk/
    http://www.blackrivertactical.com/co...tegory=6464009

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...10-556-blk.htm
    https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/V7-W...v7-kmr-tbn.htm
    https://radianweapons.com/accessorie...harging-handle
    Last edited by Biggy; 06-19-18 at 10:46.

Feedback Score
    I guess I am simple. I run a Colt 6933 FBI HRT HB. Colt upper and lower. .70 port size. Runs great. I don’t like to overthink simple things.

Feedback Score
    If you rifle wont run with everything then stay away from that upper. Don’t accept mediocrity. Don’t compromise reliability

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    I guess I am simple. I run a Colt 6933 FBI HRT HB. Colt upper and lower. .70 port size. Runs great. I don’t like to overthink simple things.
    +1

If you rifle wont run with everything then stay away from that upper. Don’t accept mediocrity. Don’t compromise reliability
    +1

Not to diminish other input/opinions by other members, but this is the BEST reply and advice so far in this thread.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the kind words. Just seeing people overthinking a simple thing. Get a good red dot or optic and zero loads with both your irons and then dot/optic. Make sure she groups well. Find your hold at 50,100, 175, 200. 250 and even 300 if you can. Know your holds. Get a solid built upper. When you start overthinking things and adding this and that, that’s when problems can start. Think of all the Glock guys that over do their pistol with so much after market crap and then wonder why it malfunctions.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

What 11.5" barrel would you go with?

Thank you for the kind words. Just seeing people overthinking a simple thing. Get a good red dot or optic and zero loads with both your irons and then dot/optic. Make sure she groups well. Find your hold at 50,100, 175, 200. 250 and even 300 if you can. Know your holds. Get a solid built upper. When you start overthinking things and adding this and that, that’s when problems can start. Think of all the Glock guys that over do their pistol with so much after market crap and then wonder why it malfunctions.
    No.

Problems start when one lacks understanding as to what they are doing and/or they use low quality parts or assemble things incorrectly.

My upper is 100% reliable, runs suppressed 100% of the time, and I've only added sparing lube over the last 2k rounds. No cleaning.

AND, my rig shoots like a .22lr with full house federal 193/855 brown box.... all while functioning perfectly with no can.

I don't begrudge anyone for stopping where you have. But there's no need to virtue signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    No.

Problems start when one lacks understanding as to what they are doing and/or they use low quality parts or assemble things incorrectly.

My upper is 100% reliable, runs suppressed 100% of the time, and I've only added sparing lube over the last 2k rounds. No cleaning.

AND, my rig shoots like a .22lr with full house federal 193/855 brown box.... all while functioning perfectly with no can.

I don't begrudge anyone for stopping where you have. But there's no need to virtue signal.

Mr. Justice, I respectfully disagree with you. I am not begrudging or putting anyone down. Don’t try to go there when nothing is there. Shoots like a 22LR with Federal 193/855. Come on man.
    Last edited by indianalex01; 06-19-18 at 13:21. Reason: Adding

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Mr. Justice, I respectfully disagree with you. I am not begrudging or putting anyone down. Don’t try to go there when nothing is there. Shoots like a 22LR with Federal 193/855. Come on man.
    I don't exaggerate. Ever. And especially not to impress people whom I do not know. No offense and none taken.

Yes, a .22lr.

You're leaving a lot of performance on the table if you're not adjusting your gas beyond the Sionics RGP barrel size (I'm running a Sionics RGP barrel). I'm about 2/3rds constricted on my gas block.

I get no gas to face even though I haven't modded my charging handle at all (BCM GF CH). And my follow up shots from imperfectly supported or unsupported positions are far faster due to the reduced recoil. Hell my brass even looks nearly indistinguishable from non suppressed brass. This also means my lube lasts FAR longer than yours.

So, discouraging others from further reducing suppressed gas drive is to deprive them of benefits which you are potentially not even aware exist.

Not to mention that shots #2-thru-problem-solved occur faster and more effectively. ESPECIALLY especially when training using one hand only (like one might need to do if they were dragging an injured buddy or were injured themselves).

"That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Not worth it - You don't know what you don't know

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast